No Country For Old Men....

You lot should try the modern all in one brake/shifter :LOL: that will really confuse you :D

REKIBorter":3jjhx34p said:
hamster":3jjhx34p said:
The weight saving (initially on the bike and later from around the waist) from going singlespeed is impressive. :D

I am living proof that your theory is flawed :LOL:

I agree the temptation to celebrate your smugness and stop the pain can involve beer....

hamster":339bgvte said:
I agree the temptation to celebrate your smugness and stop the pain can involve beer....

Cos I ride with him I can get away with this:

What he means is he is a big bastard and he rides SS :LOL: BUT...he can ride a SS and keep up with/beat blokes with gears ;)

I am of similar build and he kicked my ass yesterday....he had one gear, I had 21 :oops: :oops:

ededwards said:
Gears are a recipe for disaster anyway, keep it luddite by not even attempting to change (rear mech + chain tensioner, front mech = chain guide).

quote]

Luddites, I seem to remember went out in the 19th Century around the industrial revolution probably about the same time as penny farthings!

Nothing wrong with gears in my view -but to change gear I have thumbies on the mountain bike, modern STIs on the racing bike and bar end shifters on the cross bike. Now if a girlie can cope..........?

Having said that my next project will probably be a singlespeed if I can find a suitable tiny frame ...

CAS":2t2teypd said:
Having said that my next project will probably be a singlespeed if I can find a suitable tiny frame ...

Sending my own thread even more off topic I know ( :roll: ), how tiny?

(I might be getting rid of a small Cannondale at some point)

A friend of mine's building a modern SS 29er and I just can't get too excited about it. Keep telling him he should invest the same (about £1200!) in an extra special and ultra light retro ride. He wont have it though. :evil:

Talking about STI, I'd just about got the hang of it when I went and got a rapid rise set up. My aching legs tell the tale of many incorrect changes at just the wrong time (usually going up a bloody great Yorkshire dales hill). :oops:

Back