Sorted Nice disc brakes

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm having fitment issues with my slow burning build so potentially after an alternate set of disc brakes for it if I can't make it work.

Currently the brakes are hope tech in black with green bits which really suit the rest of the build so looking for something in black only, or with a bit of green. Not sure any other colour would work as the frame and forks are green, with green bolts, adjusters etc. Though willing to consider options.

Would consider an alternate set of hopes or others, not so keen on avid/SRAM though.

It's for a large 29er so long hose for rear.

Whatsc the fitment problem? I know hopes are very fussy when it comes to post mount adaptors - basically you have to use one of the hope adaptors not a Shimano or SRAM one and ideally hope discs too

Fitting issues are at the control end. I've got both an m9000 xtr shifter with an ispec-II adapter and an m8000 with standard bar clamp and can't get the lever in a position I find comfy and the shifter in a position I can reach. I even tried the shifter clamp inboard of the brake lever. Basically both shifters have higher bodies than others I've used like m970 so they won't slide under the reservoir body.

I can get them close but due to the design of the hope brakes, my fingers can't get to the outer shifter paddle as the piston and lever gubbins that pushes it get in the way.

Gutted as I thought I had almost everything I need to get it finished, and really like the brakes as whilst it sounds a bit sad, they really matched the colour theme I was going with.

I've searched online and can't find a solution to make it work. I've run other shifters as I said with no issues, either with integrated clamps, or matchmaker clamps, m970, xt 10sp, x0 and all been fine.

I guess I'm looking for brakes with ispec-II or a more standard reservoir set up.

I do have some hope race in black I could pinch off another bike I have, would lose the green bits and need new hose.

Last edited:
Do you have any photos? It's quite unusual for hope brakes not to be compatible. I always run my shifters inboard of the brake lever so the main body sits nicely under the reservoir

I sure do.

Attachments

• PSX_20230430_000551.jpg
    PSX_20230430_000551.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 20
  • PSX_20230430_000605.jpg
    PSX_20230430_000605.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 20
Yes, it's the same for standard clamp m8000 shifter too. I notice that on the blurb for e4 brakes they cite changes to accommodate new shifter design which is why on my wife's bike with the same brakes, 10sp slx shifter fits fine.

I have a pair of sram guide re brakes,they are 4 piston calipers,they are in excellent cosmetic condition though one needs bleeding.I took them off my wifes Specialized turbo levo sl when I fitted a set of hopeV4s for her she only has tiny hands and the hopes have much better reach adjustment.
£100 for front,rear and rotors.( plus one olive and threaded hose barb) In the images they are on my M5 which has now been sold frame only,leaving the brakes unused.

Attachments

• ADCB0B1D-2786-43FE-9E3D-BB91BB16E7B3.png
    ADCB0B1D-2786-43FE-9E3D-BB91BB16E7B3.png
    891.6 KB · Views: 4
  • F2A37436-B82E-4381-A9A3-1826BDCC7961.jpeg
    F2A37436-B82E-4381-A9A3-1826BDCC7961.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, I have actually read good things about the current SRAM brakes.

However, I've got off the fence, I've read so many brake reviews over the last few days and while I had designs on hope tech 4 initially, I've decided to go with the magura MT5 Pros. I've limed my mt6 and the more I've thought about hope brakes, the more I've remembered servicing my current ones and bleeding them fairly frequently, where the mt6 I've got have been fit and forget, and they do provide decent braking and modulation, and the MT5 Pro comes in at the same price as a single hope brake, and I get rotors as well. Yes, I may not get the UK built, CNC looks, but from what I've read, I will get powerful stoppers with great modulation (reviews suggest hopes aren't quite as nice in this department), and I've saved a couple of hundred quid, which is a bonus as I've smashed my planned build budget already.

Back