Newbie question...

Re:

Yes but it’s not like boost the disc mount is in the standard postion, apart from early models like Marzocchi qr20 which needed spacers on the disc mounts. Actually thinking about it I gues that would make them boost. If only I had a hub to try on my junior t’s.

Re:

Sorry did not mean to confuse.

Standard forks (qr and 15mm) are 100mm between the legs.

20mm axle (been around since late 90’s) are 110mm. In the beginning they simply made the fork wider this meant the disc mounts where 5mm away from where they should be, later (early 00’s) they moved the disc mount back to where it should be.

Then in the last couple of years boost has arrived, which is 110mm for qr,15 & 20mm axle. Like I said in my last post I think boost is basically the same as the origial 20mm axle forks.

I’m due to receive my first set of boost wheels in the next couple of days so will try it out on my old Marzocchi junior t’s.

BoyBurning":1jw7da2b said:
Hi guys:

Can I convert a front hub, currently running what I believe to be a 20mm thru axle, to a regular axle for old regular QRs and regular old fork dropouts?

Front hub only, rear is already QR.

Short answer, no.

As someone already said, most 20mm hubs, which yours is, are 110 wide, and designed to run in 110mm forks. Hubs which are convertable, like hope etc are designed for standard 100mm forks but can be converted, designed to be.

Sun Ringle did produce adapters for your hub, but the hub is still 110 wide so can only run in 110 wide forks, which is probably why they were discontinued. :)

mark

Re:

Thank you for the breakdown. :)

As someone who stopped all this is '95, this in completely new to me so it's a bit of a minefield...

When you say that initially they simply made the forks wider [presumably the fork manufacturers just made wider versions of their existing crowns?] and that the disc mounts were 5mm from where they should have been, how did they get the brakes working?

Did they use spacers or something presumably?

I'm interested in who was driving the change - if it was the fork people then they would have had the mounts in the right place, so presumably it was the hub people?

In the way that certain cranks require certain width spindles to allow correct chainline and chain stay clearance, were there different requirements between hubs and forks to allow brakes to work?

Seems bonkers! Presumably there must be a breakdown somewhere of what works with what, and which need spacers [if they were indeed required], or is it all just guess work with late 90s / early 00s crossover?

Apologies for the questions, but this just seems very complicated! Changing from 100 to 100, fine I can understand that, but surely there must have been some cohesive effort between people to ensure things actually worked?!

They weren't all proprietary systems presumably, so you weren't stuck with products made by one manufacturer only, so how were things mixed and matched?

:? :?

Re: Re:

BoyBurning":unfzmkhz said:
Thank you for the breakdown. :)

As someone who stopped all this is '95, this in completely new to me so it's a bit of a minefield...

When you say that initially they simply made the forks wider [presumably the fork manufacturers just made wider versions of their existing crowns?] and that the disc mounts were 5mm from where they should have been, how did they get the brakes working?

Did they use spacers or something presumably?

I'm interested in who was driving the change - if it was the fork people then they would have had the mounts in the right place, so presumably it was the hub people?

In the way that certain cranks require certain width spindles to allow correct chainline and chain stay clearance, were there different requirements between hubs and forks to allow brakes to work?

Seems bonkers! Presumably there must be a breakdown somewhere of what works with what, and which need spacers [if they were indeed required], or is it all just guess work with late 90s / early 00s crossover?

Apologies for the questions, but this just seems very complicated! Changing from 100 to 100, fine I can understand that, but surely there must have been some cohesive effort between people to ensure things actually worked?!

They weren't all proprietary systems presumably, so you weren't stuck with products made by one manufacturer only, so how were things mixed and matched?

:? :?

I think it was driven by the need for stiffer forks as travel increased and downhill was born. I have hope hubs from that era and you can simply Swap the axle between qr and 20mm. Obviously some manufacturers chose to do specific models. I only discovered this earlier in the year as I bought some junior t’s and found my brake did not fit. With an is calliper you just pack it out with washers or aluminium spacers or for post mount you can get offset mounts.

I guess it comes down to what you are building, could you look for 20mm forks instead of qr?

Re:

Thank you all for the responses to this - you have unwittingly conspired to begin my education process in the 'way of the modern' as I shall henceforth refer to it!

I can't use 20mm forks as the wheels were intended for my AMP, which is very much 100mm and wouldn't suit any other forks. Or rather, I don't want to build it with any other forks!

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Re:

I've got a 26" wheel comprising of a hope xc hub laced onto a Mavic x317 rim that uses 9mm quick release if you're interested?

Back