Newbie in the Highlands

Yorkie":1ccurcr3 said:
Just to let anybody else know who might be interested, the wheelbuilding course at Velocity in Inverness was very good indeed. No hesitation in recommending it.

Yorkie I can't remember hearing about that could you give details again for the hard of hearing and the elderly :oops:

RobMac":2lssz3iw said:
Yorkie":2lssz3iw said:
Just to let anybody else know who might be interested, the wheelbuilding course at Velocity in Inverness was very good indeed. No hesitation in recommending it.

Yorkie I can't remember hearing about that could you give details again for the hard of hearing and the elderly :oops:

Certainly can......if I can just bring it to mind.....these senior moments are getting to be a pest! Ah, I remember now! Velocity bike cafe and workshop in Inverness run various maitenance courses from the basics upwards. I needed to build a wheel so enrolled on the 2 night (4 hour) course. Well worth it. Just search Velocity Inverness and you'll find out all you need to know. Hope this is of use. Incidentally, brill cakes and food as well during the day.

Edinburgh Bicycle run a wheel building course aswell and its closer to you Rob.

I build my own wheels but nobody taught me, just worked it out for myself plus loads of stuff on internet, its not rocket science more like basket weaving. However I would not class any of my wheels as perfectly built yet but I'm getting better !

Hi there :cool:

I think its the surrounding mystique of wheelbuilding that makes for a scary subject to start off on.
As suggested a wheelbuilding course will break through all the mist and force you to make a start, plus you'll not ever go wrong as theres a professional builder on hand talking you through it.
No doubt its been a while but same as school, if youre unsure then raise a hand and ask :LOL:

I suppose i could cobble something together at a push though id probably make a hash of centering and dishing and i think without the proper stand and a gauge then thats not a good positive way to start. You'd probably put yourself off ever doing it again.
Truing. Thats different ,especially if its a get me home fix and youre running cantis(only affects some ;) :p :LOL: )
I work on the 5 spokes rule(is it a rule ?) 2 going one way and 3 the other. Looking at the 5 spokes in the area of the wobble,you can see that you would tighten 2 to bring it one way so you tighten those say a 1/2 turn and see if it makes any difference.
Start the course at the COOP, out of everything in this expensive addictive habit, that is probably the most useful thing. Plus, its a bit of a profession. a proper jig in the man shed and who knows where it could lead.

Re:

Wheel building is not everyones cup of tea, it does require patience.
A proper jigs great but for a first attempt if building for a specific frame or fork then use that frame or fork as the jig. Blue tac paralell to the rim and a couple of nails pressed into the bluetac can be used as centering gauges. As you start to remove the wobble move the nails inward toward the rim.
Give it a go, its fun and very difficult to build a completely unrideable wheel.

Best way to learn wheel building is to grab some scrap wheels, carefully note the spokes layout. You'll find a pile of scrap wheels behind almost any bike shop.

Apply some penetrrating oil to the nipples, then dismantle the wheel and try to rebuild it. Repeat until you can do it without thinking.

And as Velo points out, if you have a bike, you have a jig.

No magic involved. 5% knowledge and 95% skill.

Edit: get a spoke spanner that is 3 sided or you will knurdle the nipples...

Oh just realised I misread that:
And as Velo points out, if you have a bike, you have a jig

better stop dancing ;)

Jamie
likes lacing wheels, whats the worst that could go wrong ;)

Back