New Holdsworth 2015 Heritage range

Re: Re:

jules_b":17pqrhn4 said:
It actually had 75 degrees for only less than a year (I think late 70s or very early 80s). It was deemed to be too twitchy so they reverted back to 74degrees.

Apologies just read your post properly. You knew that already. :)

When Jock Kerr first rode his 75 degree frame, it was virtually uncontrollable. He is rather tall so with a long stem etc. the handling wasn't as good as it should have been. He had a set of forks made up for him in Leeds with a longer rake which improved matters considerably.

Re:

Old Ned!

Sorry about the thread hijack guys - but, Old Ned, you commented on an old frame about Ian May Cycles and seemed to be pretty darned knowledgeable on the subject.

If you get a chance, your input on the Ian May Cycles Appreciation thread would be appreciated!!!!!!

Again, sorry for the hijack. I love Holdsworths, me. :cool:

Slightly off topic but this is for Ed Smith ..........ex Falcon :)

Hi Ed, I just wondered where you fit into Falcon....my avatar is My Falcon San Remo Equipe from the 70's sourced from Billy Holmes from the Falcon mob and sprayed Giro pink :)

Were you around in the 70's ?

Shaun

Re:

Hi Shaun,
I do know Billy, he is an old friend of my father's from Round Table back in the 70s but they are still in touch. I am only 41 years young so I wasn't that old in the 70's but I was brought up in Wrawby, just up the road from the Brigg factory. I started at Falcon in 2002 as assistant to the Service manager and have worked my way up to Product Manager. I think a lot of people round here worked for Falcon at some point or another :D

I also worked for Nigel Dean for a while in the early 90's assembling bikes and other stuff.

I don't mean to go off subject but there's a blast from the past, what happened to Nigel Dean?

I had a superb Tour Master which I sold and wish I hadn't :( Maybe Ed built it :) I think it was better than a Galaxy shhhhhh!

Re:

Ha, I don't remember that specific bike but it is a beauty! I remember those paint jobs, we used to do a lot of fades with chicken wire or similar to give a kind of cross hatch fade which used to look really cool at the time (Or I thought so!)
We used to build a lot of frames for Geoff Wiles cycles and FW Evans in Waterloo.

Nigel Dean Cycles when I worked there was run as a Co-operative when a handful of employees bought the bought the business of Nigel.
He went off to live in somewhere like Kenya or somewhere in Africa and ended up running their national cycle team for a while from what I remember. He used to play golf with Bill Holmes and my father at Elsham.

I had one of his (Nigel's) old race bikes, which I think was a re-sprayed 753 Gazelle with Super Record on it, it was amazing, I think I was only 16 when I got it, so lucky. I'll try and dig out a photo of it.

The company eventually went bust from what I recall but I left before that happened.

Re:

Thanks for the positive comments .

We are looking to do as good a job as possible , and pretty soon want to bring the Holdsworth manufacturing in house , to sheffield , steel bikes made in the steel city by yorkshiremen . We have backing from RGF and tech support from my old framebuilder Roberto Billato , we have premises and obviously brand name , and of course a decent route to market , so I am hopeful we can bring full manufacturing back to the UK and control the production from start to finish . That is our goal , might take us a year to get there but we will try .

In the meantime Lorenzo is taking care of Holdsworth production with the first frames being produced by one of the top artisan Italian workshops and quality is super high . They are producing a lot of high end steel production , I could list the names of the other brands if the moderators allow but I did this the other day and the post was pulled !

Anyway , trust me , Lorenzo knows his onions , he is doing a great job on this project .

Thanks guys for the input and discussion on this.
Despite my previous postings sounding negative, of which they weren't meant to, I am pleased the name is coming back with the steel frames. I just get a bit cynical of nostalgia marketing, but realise that thats what the main market is, it doesn't mean I dont like the product ;)
It sounds good and would be brilliant to have the manufacturing in the UK.
Best of luck Dave and team, not that you need it, keep us updated.
Jamie

Re: Re:

daveplanetx":2uqax1ab said:
We are looking to do as good a job as possible , and pretty soon want to bring the Holdsworth manufacturing in house , to sheffield , steel bikes made in the steel city by yorkshiremen .

Now that is good news ;)

'Ride a wheel on Sheffield Steel' as Dunelt used to say.

Quality will always sell, but under the banner of 'Made in Britain', you have a step up into the world market, and a great homage to Holdsworth.

I'll be having a look at Bakewell...........I bet they're not cheap though :LOL:

Re:

Pricing is from 799.99 for most of the models , a couple with more work on the chrome lugs and more detail are 999.99 , the most expensive is the italia version with columbus tubing , chrome lugs , and stainless stays and thats 1199.99.

Come meet lorenzo , jamie and me at l'eroica , to complete the retro journey we will be driving a 1968 Ford cortina in full team colours like this

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff ... 201974.jpg

Back