new bike time

highlandsflyer":2dzo1wmi said:
Orange have never struck me as that kind of company.

In 1999 i bought an Orange clockwork(c16-R) ,it came with the F9 alloy forks and when i picked it up i was pretty amazed by the weight as it was so so light.
In 2012 i bought the cheaper P7 frame no forks and when i picked it up i was amazed by the weight in that it was so so heavy.

On the modern P7 it had decals stating 100% cro-mo tubing. I was Very very tempted to have a signwriter pal add the words 'filled with wet sand' You really wouldnt believe the weight difference :shock:

Given the choice of any steel hardtail frame i can tell you it wouldnt be Orange and i love Orange.

Buy whatever hardtail bike that has the best level of components. Look for a top fork(not tapered),good wheels. Boardman were great deals for the parts on them when they were just released, but im not sure now theyre in the market whether theyre doing the same type of build deal :?
Sticking with a hardtail frame just now means more % of the cost can reflect on the bits. A fox fork or better brakes,higher groupset. :?
Ride it then a year or so down the line pick the frame you really want and hang those parts on that. :? A good way to put together a nice sus bike if that be your offroad preference

Good quality parts last a good while so think down the line when making the choice.

Lucky git getting a new bike I think we need a 'glum' avatar smilie thing

dont know about lucky :D . thanks for the information unfortunatly i cant get the orange trhu halfords . can get most konas
and charge bikes and some gts . im going to have a read up at the week end and get the ball rolling with the bike too work scheme next week

Halfords can get pretty much any bike - provided the person you speak to is a helpful one rather than one of the generic Bikehut monkeys.

well went for the charge in the end . having had a read up about them and there bikes also gives me a good base to upgrade at a later date . ordered it Friday should hopefully get it in the next to weeks :D

Back