New bike day - Carlton TEN - resprayed/rebuilt

Re: Re:

cycletothesea":2w40rxkk said:
dorset boy":2w40rxkk said:
Very nice,shall look out for it on the back lanes of Dorset :)

Live in Dorchester, my usual trips would be across Purbeck to Swanage or up through Shaftesbury.
I'm near Blandford !

Holiocornolio":2ldbjrav said:
If you don't mind me asking, what chainset is that? looks fresh but sympathetic / in keeping with the build

Not sure which bit you mean by 'chainset'. But it's a Stronglight 80 crankset (possibly not period correct), Huret Svelto derailleur, Huret front mech with a Suntour 5 speed block (which are all about right for the period). If it looks fresh, that's good considering the amount of time I spent scrubbing them !

Holiocornolio":1cjp2hvl said:
Thanks. Yes crankset if your prefer. I'd always understood the terms crankset and chainset to be interchangeable.

A lot of the Stronglight cranksets have the advantage of looking very 'classsic', even the ones for sale today. Plus they're a lot lighter than the heavy old doubles which would have been on this originally.

cycletothesea":273w26ie said:
Holiocornolio":273w26ie said:
Thanks. Yes crankset if your prefer. I'd always understood the terms crankset and chainset to be interchangeable.

A lot of the Stronglight cranksets have the advantage of looking very 'classsic', even the ones for sale today. Plus they're a lot lighter than the heavy old doubles which would have been on this originally.
Thanks again. I'm finding parts for my own build right now and I'm weighing up options. Ideally I want a Dura Ace crankset to go with the rest of the gruppo I've so far put together, but I can't really afford one in nice condition. Looking for something equally classic at the more affordable end and these look great. And as you say, the weight is also an advantage.

Sorry, that reads like a bit of a backhanded compliment.its not meant to. Its a lovely crankset looking perfectly in place on a beautiful and tastefully restored bike.

Back