Archive New Archive - Using & Submitting Resources

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
The new archive is now fully online, users can download resources and submit new material!

Access
New archive can be found here > https://www.retrobike.co.uk/archive/
Or click the link in your navigation for 'Archive'.

Using
The new archive has resources - catalogues, manuals, reviews, adverts and all other material categorised by manufacturer and publication.

On desktop the category navigation is shown on the left. Click on a manufacturer to open.

1690015955150.png

On mobile click the Categories button to open the navigation.

Once you are at the category view click in a catalogue to open.
Click the orange "Download ...." button to download & open the content on your device.

1690015987106.png

That's it really, key points covered for using. Feel free to review and add comments as appropriate.
Onto submitting.

Submitting Resources

The new archive system is fully integrated into the XenForo forum software and as such submitting a new resource is relatively straightforward.

1.Login and navigate to the archive section > Archive
2.Click the Orange "Add Archive Resource" button
1690016104060.png

3.Select category to add the resouce into. If no relevant category exists please add to incoming add drop me a PM to set one up.

1690016199125.png

4. The add archive resource screen is as follows
  1. Please select prefix, if adding to an existing section you will only have a single (correct) option
  2. Please title the archive resource as follows Year Manufacturer Type - for example 1995 Shimano Catalogue or 1996 RockShox Quadra Manual
  3. Please wherever possible upload as a pdf
  4. Add a description. Either the title again or whatever you fancy.
  5. Add a new icon. Bit of a pain this is not automatically generated (maybe one day) but for now please add the first page of any archive resource as the icon. Either extract / screenshot the first page of the pdf or just upload the image
  6. Click Save
  7. The archive resource will then be submitted for approval and will appear in the archive once this is done. Once a user has submitted a few resources will remove need for approval.
  8. A thread in one of the magazine and scan section will automatically be geneated.
1690016271011.png

5. Done!

Interested to know he behaviour users see - and prefer - when they click 'download'.
Archive was setup such that download did simply download to device be it mobile or desktop. Not sure if this is 100% desirable.
Now setup such that download *should* open the resource, be it pdf, jpg or png in a new browser tab. Works ok on IOS / MACOS Safari at least. Subsequent image download works ok, that is image saved with expected filename. However if download pdf resource the file ends up with a default name, filename or download, which doesn't seem ideal to me.

I would prefer that file retained its original name. Not bothered if it renders in the browser or downloads on to the file system.

On Android, I get "do you want to download filename.pdf again" whenever I download a new resource, which then overwrites the last one.

It's working as described on Chrome (on Chromebook). Catalogues opening and, by default, saving as 'Download' is a niggle rather than a big deal on this platform. I haven't tried on Windows, Linux or other browsers yet. The layout is good: I like the list on the left instead of the division into six pages. I prefer the files to open in the browser rather than download immediately. Overall, it's a worthwhile improvement.

I notice that the Marin archive is down to just the 1994 and 1995 catalogues though.

Interested to know he behaviour users see - and prefer - when they click 'download'.
Archive was setup such that download did simply download to device be it mobile or desktop. Not sure if this is 100% desirable.
Now setup such that download *should* open the resource, be it pdf, jpg or png in a new browser tab. Works ok on IOS / MACOS Safari at least. Subsequent image download works ok, that is image saved with expected filename. However if download pdf resource the file ends up with a default name, filename or download, which doesn't seem ideal to me.
Working fine on Windows/Firefox. I much prefer the default to open the file in the browswer, rather than download it. When saving it, it is going to a default filename. No big deal for me to name any if I needed to save them.

Thanks for feedback. Sounds like download / filename behaviour reasonably consistent.

Will try and setup such pdf open in new tab and when download retain filename.

For now reverted to default settings which sees the file downloaded with correct filename (after prompt on IOS).

Back