Never use Paypal Gift!!!

If in UK it might pop up somewhere.
List it as stolen in all the sites and see if anything comes back.

Studies have shown that hacksawing a lock off a bike attracts little or no attention ;)
Possession is 9/10 of the law

Any chance of a pic of the bike, maybe specs too. Im on ebay quite a bit so will keep an eye out for you.

Good chance they will break and sell. Could also be Paul is ridding around on it.

Hopefully you have shared this with other forums including the FB group.

Paying through PP using goods/services carries as much risk and is still exploited by the same fraudsters. Sending to an alternative address would have invalidated your protection, also they can claim cashback months after the sale. A lot return a broken or different item claiming that is what they recieved. They could return you an emmelle and say that is what you sent and its not an orange and claimed cash back. Laptops are a popular scam, throw in all your old broken parts and return it. Guitars sent in cases is a current trend, claiming the case was empty upon reciept of the item. Instant cash back.

Its quite shocking just how often this happens on just ebay, they dont even close the fraudsters account even after mutiple claims.

As i said though, there are options. If it was me i would go get free legal advice, see what some of the options are. Suprising what a titled letter can achieve. Other optons are there but costly in the outset, and not straight forward. Probably why so many just sit back and accept their loss.

Re:

Planning to fill the internet with stolen bike posts today, as soon as I can work out how the Chromebook work has given me works. :facepalm:

The correct title of this thread should be "Take precautions when selling to a third party".

brocklanders023":1d0cq7p0 said:
My tale is that I decided to sell my modern Orange P7 as I don't have the time to use both my modern bikes so thought the funds would be better used elsewhere. :

So, no time for old bikes and no time for new bikes. Do you have any time for bikes?!

Re:

Thanks for explaining this, and highlighting the risks.

So sorry this has happened to you, some people are scumbags.

Don’t give up on it, you never know, get the message out there via social media, people will definitely keep theirs eyes open for you.

Sorry to hear about this. I've been scammed or come close to it a few times over the years.

On the loss of interest front, I felt exactly the same when three guys jumped me in London, stole my Cannondale and two of them then beat the crap out of me for 10 minutes. You and I have suffered a big loss and trauma - and it's no wonder we lost any enthusiasm for the object associated with that.

I had to get a bike for commuting so I did, and eventually I got my passion back for riding. But I don't feel sentimental about or attached to bikes or indeed any material object anymore. People and experiences count much more - and you are safe which is what counts. In some ways, while I still think the people who did it are utter sh*ts and would quite happily return the favour given the right circumstances, I found it useful for personal growth and building resilience. Appreciate that you will never see it that way, and that's OK - it did take me years.

It'll be of no consolation but the police were equally uninterested. They made some vague noises about photographing my injuries and getting me to look through some books of known crims - but never followed up.

Re:

Only insured on the home insurance Fluffy. Always thought that if I was going to be robbed it would be from my garage.

I'm actually pretty cautious when it comes to buying or selling stuff and try to make sure I don't take risks. I just was not aware the money could be reversed by paypal/bank so didn't consider it a issue. Won't make that mistake again.

What I tended to do was pick up a couple of bargains or rough bikes, spend some time cleaning up parts or complete bikes then saving the few quid I got until I needed or wanted something else bike related. I tried to make my bike purchases self funded. In fact, the P7 was actually bought with money from a retro clear-out. Unfortunately if you are forced to use only ebay, paypal, etc with the stupid fees they charge and the ridiculous price of postage now it makes my hobby unsustainable so that's that for me.

In terms of getting that mojo back, come out riding with us on the Peaks ride tomorrow - happy to lend you a bike to ride if you need it, but sounds like you might have other options, if not the time to ride them enough...

Si F

Back