Nettles are Evil

Blackthorn is the worst thing. Really painful if you get caught in it, and tough. A bit like my last girlfriend.
There's a pub in Dorset that has an annual nettle eating contest if you're feeling particularly brave.

chris667":1utzhi8b said:
There's a pub in Dorset that has an annual nettle eating contest if you're feeling particularly brave.
Kind of fancy that (in notion). Can't imagine doing it in practice though, :shock:

Nettle stings sensitise the skin, thereafter even the lightest touch send shock waves through the affected area, an interesting feeling. Yeah and nettles are useful, they can be eaten like spinach, and the boiled out sting makes good shampoo. Nettles have also been used as a dye for military camo netting and the nettle fibre is very strong and has it's own uses.

Oh and for those of you that suffer cold legs, do what the Romans did, brush the things over the skin, the sting is great for warming cold legs. Sensitisation of skin by stinging increases blood circulation and therefore warming, so people next time you get stung by nettles, let it serve to remind you, you have been made aware of such a useful plant, celebrate it's glory and stop being a big wuss.

Oh yes, nettle beer ain't too bad either, loads of iron content.

Apparently nettle tea is helpful to those suffering from hayfever. Just chop the leaves, add boiling water, let it brew for about 4 or 5 minutes and drink it down.

How do I know this? I watched CountryFile last night. I have no idea why.

Weon":iqadzl9l said:
How do I know this? I watched CountryFile last night. I have no idea why.

You have no idea why you were watching country file?? Does this happen much :LOL:

What do doc leaves look like?

tintin40":kbqbo3dn said:
You have no idea why you were watching country file?? Does this happen much :LOL:

I think I was trawling RetroBike on the laptop when it started and I just never switched over.

It was actually quite interesting.

Damn, I feel old and rural now!

The common (at the moment!) Horse Chestnut (Gen. Aesculus) or conker tree leaves actually make a better cure than the more well known Dock leaf.

Weon":uv6twbtb said:
tintin40":uv6twbtb said:

I think I was trawling RetroBike on the laptop when it started and I just never switched over.

It was actually quite interesting.

Damn, I feel old and rural now!

No your old when you can remember that other early 'country' programme with the old man with the white beard :oops: :LOL:

Back