Need Instructions:Elastomer change on 854 Girvin Forks

Will try it again tonight

I did that last night, exactly as you suggested, lucky me. I could not get the stem (the elastomers are on) to come out of the (black) part of the stem. I did not pull real hard since I didn't know what I was doing. I removed the linkage that connects to it incase I had to unscrew it somehow. That did not work either. I will try pulling harder I guess. :)

Finally, new front elastomer.

Thanks for all your help SLIM. After basically taken the forks completely apart the answer on how to free the elastomers apeared. The black stem above the elastomers had to be removed from the above linkage. There was a silver insert/plug at the top that helps the linkage cross bar slide through and stay snug. INSIDE the damn black stem is a bolt, which can only be reached by compressing the forks as far as allowed. Once you remove that bolt the stem is free and you can pull the black stem sleave off and change the elastomer. I am not sure what the stock elastomers were, I have a 35mm and a 45mm. They both will fit but I could not compress them to be able to get the bolt back in. With just the 45mm it seems to small but will work. I may try other options later. What a pain in the rear this was. To make matters worse, while I was wrestling the forks, I did not pay attention to the cables. I managed to get a few out of wack so once I thought I was done, I couldn't turn the handle bars...lol I wasn't about to take them back apart, so I re-ran the troubled cables. Leason learned. If anyone knows what size elastomers are suppose to be on the front please let me know. I may have to get some of the green elastomers you guys have been trying and cut it for a better fit. Until then, my ProFlex is breathing again.

Back