My Ritchey P-22 (new pictures on page 2)

Is that a new Softride, or used? Where from , and how much? I could do with one of those on mine! I'm sure it wouldn't weigh much more than the std Force.

Used, no price has been discussed yet, it's possible I get just the damper. At least I have the elusive damper secured.

Did my very first ride today despite the snow, I just couldn't wait. 22kms at +2C on my P-22, how about that! :p

Current set-up: almost nothing has changed, I've just added my red ODI Lock-On grips (soon to be replaced with Ritchey True Grips WCS), my Conti Speed King 2.1 tires (maybe replaced with Maxxis Maxxlite 285 or Ritchey Z-Max WCS 1.7 or 1.9 or Kenda Klimax Lite) and my Crank Brothers Egg Beaters pedals.

100_7558.jpg

Oh, and the Turbo saddle feels pretty good actually! Btw, weren't the first Rtichey Logic WCS saddles just Turbos in disguise?

I got the bike (and the upcoming stem) from a guy named Jim S. We've exchanged quite a bunch of emails since I purchased the bike on Ebay and it only hit me today: Jim S = Jim Sullivan = Sully, the guy who used to race for Team Ritchey/Softride. No wonder he has all that Ritchey and Softride stuff lying around!

I got my Ritchey WCS foam grips last week and I should receive my NOS aluminum Softride stem with Offspring damper sometimes next week. Still looking for a new saddle, although I'm starting to like the Turbo. If only it was lighter... what's the weight of that one btw?

Finally got my Softride stem from Sully! It feels awesome! He even included 3 optional springs just in case I feel like fine-tuning the ride.

100_7586.jpg

100_7589.jpg

Sweet!

That's going to ride like a magic carpet!! :D

I ran the earlier 'Frankenstem' and the undamped feel took a little getting used to. :shock: I even tried adapting an AMP fork damper for it, don't ask. :LOL:

This and others are the reason I had my tools confiscated by the bike police at my L.B.C!

Lovely bike. Is that stem a second generation one then? I have a black stem with a spring inside. This must be the one Al speaks of? It is on my touring bike and I really like it.

Iwasgoodonce":36qza007 said:
Lovely bike. Is that stem a second generation one then? I have a black stem with a spring inside. This must be the one Al speaks of? It is on my touring bike and I really like it.

Yes that's the fella!

Would be a great idea on a tourer,as you can do the preload on the spring up hardish!

On a mountain bike it's a case of which noise is the less annoying, Top out Klunk or Bottom out Klunk. :D Saying that, on flowing single track its fantstic and makes so much sense. That's the reason uncle Tom used them.
Just need to find miles of flowing singletrack in Cornwall! :LOL:

I think it's a 2nd generation stem, although I don't remember when the damper surfaced. Was it with the new threadless aluminum stem or the more recent gold or yellow versions?

Btw, Sully said he even had a JP Morgen stem (he has one installed on his Lite Beam if I'm not mistaken). Now that's something I'd like to ride...

A little update!

Bike still unchanged, I've put over 2500 kilometers since the beginning of the season on February 28, bike is holding up well, even entered 3 local x-c races on it since the end of May and got 3rd each time. Jaws are dropping when they see the bike, especially next to fully suspended and pricey carbon rigs. :) I'm especially amazed by the stem, the local race course here is pretty rough and rocky yet the stem still works pretty well. I wouldn't say it works as well as a fork, it doesn't, but the performance is more than decent!

Back