My, Kona Cindercone 90, Kilauea 93, Parkpre Pro 825 , Amp B3

Where on earth do you dig all this stuff up from?

Looks like a Concept sticker on the seat tube btw...

Kilauea 1993

Yes the tubing is concept tubing, aslo note the orange shadow to the decals look the same as the one in your pic, but the others have a dark purple shadow.

The car for those interested parties is a 1985 Golf GTI. aslo in the fleet '77LS, '79 LS and '79GTI.

is the concept tubing late 93 then? as the orange was used in some form on 94 models.

Re: Kilauea 1993

HarryCrumb":3spwtcqe said:
Yes the tubing is concept tubing, aslo note the orange shadow to the decals look the same as the one in your pic, but the others have a dark purple shadow.
is the concept tubing late 93 then? as the orange was used in some form on 94 models.
They used Tange Prestige Concept for the Kilauea from 1993 to 1995, having used it for the Explosif in 1991 and 1992. So although they changed the geometry radically between 1992 and 1993, it's natural to think of the 93 Kilauea as being similar to the 92 Explosif, at least in the sense of being of a similar quality.

I asked because the 93 catalogue says that the 93 Cinder Cone used the 92 Kilauea frame, and the 93 Cinder Cone was made of Tange tubing, but not Concept. So I think this points away from my thought that your bike might be a first sighting (for me) of a 92 Kilauea and towards your notion of a late 93 bike. Maybe they never sold the two-tone models in North America, but sold the claret-coloured bike in the beginning of 93 and your bike later on that year.

One way of proving it (if you can be bothered!) is to look at the serial number on the bottom bracket (may be cunningly hidden under the cable guide!) My 94 Kilauea has serial number F3098555 and it seems that the F says which factory it was built in and the 3 says it was built in 93. Since Concept was used for both the 93 and 94 model years, my proof that it's a 94 bike (it's been repainted) is that the top tubes of the 94 bikes were longer than 93 and mine is of the 94 length. If your number was a 3 and your tt length (c-c) was right for 93, that would prove that the bike is a 93 and the first sighting (for me) of a late 93 different-colour North American Kona range!

Kona Kilauea

I have looked into the serial number and there are 2 numbers A3042386 and 3I 11 which is under the cable guide. could the small number be the date?

Re: Kona Kilauea

HarryCrumb":23zoo06e said:
I have looked into the serial number and there are 2 numbers A3042386 and 3I 11 which is under the cable guide. could the small number be the date?
I don't know what the shorter number means, mine is 4I 12. I'm pretty sure the A3 bit means that your bike was made in 93. That is based on going through all the responses from tech@konaworld to dating enquiries in the forum there. He never said that was what it meant, but every single dating he gave was consistent with that meaning. And if your bike has a 54.5cm c-c top tube (measured along the tube), that would be right for a 93 size 18 (a 94 would be 56cm).

If so, then all this huffing and puffing would just have confirmed what you said in the first place! :oops: But I still say your bike is extremely rare in this country and it's the first I've heard of a late-93 range of Konas for the North American market, so I for one am glad to have learned something, even if everybody else is totally bored!

Kona Kilauea 1993

I have finally got round to measuring the top tube and it is 54.5 exaclty. So thats confirmed then. I don't supose you know the paint code for the champagne coloured metalic paint, as I really want to get it re-sprayed. I think I can get away with leaving the forks if I get a good paint match for the frame and stem. Has anyone reproduced velocity stem decals yet?

Back