'My first proper mountainbike' or 'Halcyon days'

Haven't got any pics but mine was a lime green Courier Comp that I got for crimbo back in 1990 to replace my Raleigh Montage.

Really wish I hadn't given it away now :(

sierra001.jpg

Not mine but mine was the same colour minus the rack and a different seat+post.

.......Loved that bike!

not got any photos of mine either. was a purple GT Ricochet. was the love of my life for ages, then some lovely person stole it.

i was thinking the other night how nice it would be to get hold of another

My first proper mtb was a Raliegh Mustang, not sure what year the pinky fade painted one!!! i remember going to the shop in Cardiff with my father and picking it out!! for my crimbo present! :) that bike was hard as nails and never broke, she used to get downhill ridden and ridden through rivers and allsorts!!!

Awesome!! pm me if you've got one for sale?? oh god thats another bike i'm looking for! :LOL:

I'd always been on road bikes, (which is fairly odd as I live in Edinburgh, the land of lungbursting hills and cobbles) when I got bored of constantly straightening wheels. So I bought a cheapo own brand from the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. I suddenly gave up on the road bike and used it for most of my trips, sadly it was stolen after a few months. So insurance money ready I decided to buy a "proper mountain bike.

Bearing in mind first and foremost it was to be a hardy street bike I was instantly attracted to Kona as the straight forks and short frame looked perfect for chucking around in traffic. I was right. To be honest though the main attraction was that they looked cool as funk compared to other things with the different coloured forks and super low top tube (which turned out gave too small a triangle for a D Lock, D'oh!)

I loved it and very quickly started changing bits on it, obviously a Selle Italia race bike saddle as that was what I was used to, then lots of other lightweight and funny coloured bits of alloy thingbobs followed. Then in time the most vicious nasty looking beartraps pedals I could find. Loved them, shins hated them.

Last big spend was a set of wheels, super light Mavic rims and deore LX hubs as it was the most I could afford. These were kept with offroad tyres and slicks were put on the standard Bontrager rims for weekdays.

I sold it after a couple of years to upgrade to an Orange. Sold it to a friend for his girlfriend so they could have romantic Sunday cycles. Sadly on their first romantic cycle she fell off and was bitten by the beartraps, hospital, many stitches and skingrafts on her knee. Whoops.

[/img]

Attachments

• Fire Mountain.jpg
    Fire Mountain.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 2,056
Like most everyone els, I don't have any pics of my first (90 Raleigh Technium - full DX). I have pics of the bike I quickly upgraded to. Paramount PDG 70.

r1.jpg

I've still got my first proper bike... An 88 Kona Cinder Cone. Still got it and will definately rebuild it later in the year with all the odds n sods laying about.... I've lost a load of bits that used to be on it though :(.

My first mountain bike was Raleigh Memphis with the ridiculous ovaltech chainset circa 1988. rode that for a few years before it was stolen and consequently lost interest in mountain bikes for a few years. my passion was re-ignited several years later with the purchase of a KHS Montana Comp (pink and blue!) fitted with a pair of rather flexible Marzocchi XC 700 forks. from there i moved onto '96 GT LTS DH and a '99 Azonic DS1 both of which i still own

Back