My Diamondback: Update 27Feb '14

minor_LEGEND":1l9rd8rv said:
Shame, dont bin the forks though, you might happen accross someone that can replace the canti boss & the frame will still have its birth partner.

Diamond Back were very good at trickling down higher end frames into lower models the following year. Is this frame True Temper AVR? In which case its an identical frame to a 92 Apex. It certainly has the same frame geometry & cable routing as the higher end 92 bikes.
Whilst it's true that sometimes they used AVR tubing on some Topangas - they tended to be just AVR for the main tubes, rather than how they used it in some models slightly higher in the range.

Not that it probably makes much difference, but just wanted to point it out - because often people have seen the AVR sticker and assumed it's the same frame, but in some examples it's just the main triangle that's the same tubing. For example, my 95 brochure, lists AVR tubing used on several frames, for the Topanga it just says it's the seat tube. And in 92, the brochure states it's only AVR in the main tubes.

Thanks for the info, it does look a lot like the 1994 ascent so it could be a 94 im not really sure

Update: 28th feb

So i crushed the seized locknut in the vice and cut the damaged thread off the steerer then the forks came off easilly. Ive got a pair of marin rockstars and shimano XT m737 cantis to fit

Originality isnt really much of a priority, it would of just been a shame if this bike was scrapped after all the miles we've done on it over the years

Sean :D

Back