My dad's beat up bike

Definitely it's had a nasty front-end crash at some time - it will need a new fork (as said) as the handling will be all wrong at present.

Deffo worth a bit of time invested in renovating it though.. Secondhand set of forks from Ebay, Bit of a polish and a derust and it'll look great :D

I'll have a check outside in the shed later on, MIGHT have a set of forks that would fit.. if theyre there I'll get some sizes for the steerer tube, etc

It looks as if the frame might have gone up a bit at the head lugs as well. Any chance of better pics?

Before spending anything I would try the old method of pulling the front wheel forward, it could be improved if not quite correct. Just lie on the ground, grab the front wheel, feet on the chainwheel, and pull. You need someone looking down from the top to tell you when to stop. I would say it probably needs about 3 cm forward, from the look of the pics.
This used to be a common emergency repair. I would think the tubing is probably some ductile seamed stuff, the owners of bikes with 531 used to refer to as "gas pipe".

Had a look for the forks, couldnt find them.. think my son has already snaffled them for someone else.. he has a habit of fixing his friends and their mum and dad's bikes for them, utilising all my assorted bits n bobs at the same time.. makes him about 20 quid a week on average, which at 13 aint too bad..

Will look again tomorrow in daylight..I might have a donor bike i can drop a set off anyway. :?

Back