my 1998 Shaun Palmer Race replica specialized fsr team dh

bounty69

Dirt Disciple
SHAUN PALMER’S 1998 MONT-SAINT ANNE, EXACT RACE REPLICA
SPECIALIZED FSR TEAM DH

AS FEATURED IN DIRT MAGAZINE ISSUE 70

THERE IS A LOT TO SAY ABOUT THIS ITEM SO I APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE FOR THE LONG DESCRIPTION!

THE STORY BEHIND THIS PROJECT
This really is a true one in a million build. The whole story of this project started over a year ago when I saw the picture in Specialized's '25 years of mountain biking' book. As you can see in the scanned picture below, taken from the book, it shows the legendary Shaun Palmer leaning over to attach his race number to the bike DURING THE 1998 Mont-Saint-Anne World Cup Race.

I have been mountain biking since the late 80's and during the late 90's this guy (Shaun Palmer) in my opinion is largely responsible for turning the downhill scene into what it is today, which again in my opinion makes him a true legend to go along side riders like Tomac, Deaton, JMC and Giove.

So I say, after seeing this picture I was so taken by it that I decided to undertake a replica build of this bike. But not just any replica..... it had to be exact, as in the picture.... I mean every nut and bolt exact!!!
So I set too and started by trying to identify the parts that I could from my knowledge over the years. Then I got stuck and there were clearly parts that I couldn't see on the picture so I eventually made contact with Joe Buckley from Specialized who was Palmer's mechanic back in those days. He was very endeared by this project and gave me huge amounts of help with identifying all of those other parts. He also gave me extra info on how the bike was set up and which race it was from. he even gave me the inside gossip on why he is using Michelin tyres and Shimano gearing, when the team was sponsored by Sram!!! I have all of the correspondence and will pass it on to the buyer.

So you see I have done this properly, no corners cut and no making do. I agreed to source everything on that build list exactly as it was in the picture.

I managed to find a lot of parts and most of them are new. But now that it is finished it is with massive regret I must sell it on to someone who understands exactly what this build is

THE BUILD LIST

FRAME
So I started with frame. The frame in the picture was the 1998 pre production team version of the Specialized FSR Team DH. Although initial production frame did not change from the one that Palmer used, the decals on the frame did. The decals on the bike in the picture were on the team only bikes. So after a lot of talking with the guys at specialized I managed to persuade them to send me the artwork so that I could have them replicated here in the UK.

When I had sourced the frame, and I looked at 4 different ones before buying, to get the best condition one I could, I had it sent down to ARGOS to have it completely restored with team decals.

So the frame is pretty much as new, in a completely restored state. No marks, scratched etc. just a clean crisp white showroom condition frame!!!
Included with the frame is the original and exact Fox Vanilla RC shock. In almost mint condition and recently serviced.

FORKS

A pair of Manitou XVERT Carbon triple clamp forks. Sourced from Canada and again in excellent condition for there age and showing hardly any sign of use. All the decals on the forks are unmarked with no chips scratches or chunks missing.

STEM

This really is a true rare find!!! The stem used was an early MRD (Manitou Racing Development) integrated unit. This took me 8 months to even locate one and that was from the depths of the US somewhere.

PEDALS

The pedals are a pair of early Easton Cully’s and were supplied by non other than Palmers Mechanic Joe Buckley. I have proof that the pedals were supplied by Buck and there is every chance that the pedals may even have been Palmers!!

OTHER PARTS

The rest of the components included in this sale are:

1. Brand new Chris King Headset
2. Brand new original MRP chain device
3. Brand new XTR chainring
4. Brand new XTR m952 s/c rear mech
5. Brand new XT 8 speed cassette- correct ratio
6. Brand new michellin comp 24 tyres
7. Brand new XTR m952 L/H crank arm
8. Brand new Specialized Pro-Long revolution saddle
9. Brand New Ritchey seatpost, no logo's
10. Brand new hayes 203mm and 160mm original disc rotors
11. Original Protaper dh handlebars – Used but in mint condition
12. Original Hayes hydraulic brakes - Used but in great condition, just need bleeding
13. Brand new original early model Mavic Deemax wheelset
14. Used Easton Cully pedals – from Palmers Mechanic

This bike is ready to ride all bar the brakes being bled. You may not want to ride it, that is your choice!!

Right Price wise i have thought about this alot and due to the replica status of this bike i am going to ask in the region of £1500.00 for it. Please get in touch if you would like to chat to me. Thanks

Attachments

• build 4.jpg
    build 4.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 18,779
  • palmer.jpg
    palmer.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 18,779
  • build2.jpg
    build2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 18,779
I saw this on E-bay then you pulled the sale, remember, you forgot JMC in your list of riders :shock: ?????? . Surely it's got to be worth more than £1500 especially with the Dirt article, which I read. Wish I had the money to buy it. Didn't then, don't now :cry: All the best with the sale and I hope it goes to a good home.

Attachments

• palmerjoking%5B1%5D.jpg
    palmerjoking%5B1%5D.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 18,464
Sure I've just seen this bike on the telly a couple of hours ago. Was in the front room of a house being viewed on Relocation, Relocation...

zombie-thread.png

Back