My 1996 Ventana Marble Peak FS - Seeing Red

BikePimp":ptit5y5x said:
stew-b":ptit5y5x said:
personally i would respray the sids in a matching colour to the frame...

I thought about doing that, but the Ventana paint job on that frame is rather unique. It is a semi-transparent paint where you can see some of the aluminum in the background, almost looks like it's anodized. It plays tricks on your eyes. I have not seen that kind of paint on another frame. I think it would be somewhat hard to match a paint job.

I don't know if it's the same paint job, but my Ventana Pantera (2/2000) has a high quality red painting, it looks like anodized but, instead of red anodizeds, red doesn't become pink ;-)

BikePimp":2z0is7ua said:
stew-b":2z0is7ua said:
personally i would respray the sids in a matching colour to the frame...

I thought about doing that, but the Ventana paint job on that frame is rather unique. It is a semi-transparent paint where you can see some of the aluminum in the background, almost looks like it's anodized. It plays tricks on your eyes. I have not seen that kind of paint on another frame. I think it would be somewhat hard to match a paint job.

Sounds like coloured lacquer (is it called candy-coat?) - red pigment in lacquer and give it loads of coats and it ends up slightly see-though. Santa-Cruz used it a fair bit on their bikes but I haven't seen one for a while. Fantastic look for any alu frame.

Reapainting SID's in gloss black would be better if you couldn't match the frame.

There excisted the 'cromovalato' chromed bikes with translucent colour paint.

One of my Koga frames has an aluminium frame with similar paint.

Back