My 1991 Nortel.le - FINISHED!!!

thanks Neil! I haven't actually ridden it yet after finishing the build. Hopefully next week...

From what I remember, it rides very well - the tubing is cromor so it feels quite "solid", but tracks very well and is very nice to ride. Before the renovation, it had traditional 32 spoke wheels with mavic SUP (or similar) rims. I imagine with the ventos the ride might be a bit less forgiving, but I'll be building some 32 spoke clinchers soon, and have my record/GP4s too. It will be interesting to see how it rides with the different wheels.

I took this out today for a first ride post-restoration. It rides very well, but I think the combination of cromor tubing and deep rims is a little "harsh". Will try it another day with 32 spoke tubs and see what happens :)

Super cool. Such attention to detail. There's something in mixing Campy and Shimano and older and newer.

thanks konsta! I think I'll swap the mech for an 8 speed athena and the gear levers for simplex though. The dura ace levers don't work so well in friction mode (they just don't seem to have enough friction, and the chain will drop to smaller sprockets on it's own). The athena/simplex is only good for 7 sprockets, so I'll just have to forget about the 23 sprocket. More in keeping with the rest of the parts too I think.

The paint was done by a guy local to me here in spain. He's done cars and motorbikes too, but I think he mainly concentrates on bikes (bicycles) now. http://www.lombardpro.com/

Re:

Swapped the shimano mech out for an 8 speed athena, and the gear levers for a mis-matched Record set. I was thinking of simplex but the inside diameter of the cable groove on those is about 2.5mm les than that of the record levers, so I get more cable pull with the record ones. The lever still needs to travel a full 180' to cover all 8 sprockets though.

Attachments

• 2016-04-10 19.12.22 (Small).jpg
    2016-04-10 19.12.22 (Small).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 369
  • 2016-04-10 19.12.57 (Small).jpg
    2016-04-10 19.12.57 (Small).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 369
  • 2016-04-10 19.12.35 (Small).jpg
    2016-04-10 19.12.35 (Small).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 369
Back