Archive Muddy Fox Pathfinder

Explorer

I always wanted a Yellow Explorer, they where just the bee's knees and looked so cool, especially with a disc on the back wheel. Does anyone remember the name of the top of the range one that was around £5k, thats alot now but it was a mental amount in the late 80's.

Does abnyone have a yellow Explorer they want to passoff to a good loving garage to be cherished on a good bit of single track that i used to hack around on 20+ years ago....???

ck - is it my imagination or does that 88 Limited Edition recall the Cupertino Ritcheys to my mind, what with its sloping forwards top tube and all! ;-)

Mr K

Hi,

it's great to find some scans from a 89 muddy fox catalogue… do you happen to have a scan from the page with the Courier Comp? 1989 that is? thanks a lot in advance!

best,
philipp

Repack Rider":y9eflv91 said:
xeo":y9eflv91 said:
do you have any muddy fox info from 88/89'?

Here's 1989

Re:

Just discovered this thread after putting Muddy Fox Pathfinder into google search.

Thought I'd resurrect it just to introduce myself and say hello.

I've owned my Pathfinder since new in 1986 and seeing the brochure again is just brilliant.
I wanted the blue one like the one in the photo but all they had was a red one - the one I'm using everyday now.

Mine's Identical to that one. I've still got those original tyres but not on the bike atm as I've got some skinnier commuter ones.
I confess to cutting the bar width down a few years back to help get thru traffic - but now regret having done that - want to reinstate the correct width(anyone have any original ones for sale??)
Otherwise I've replaced the cassette/chain a couple of times(can't find the 13/28 one anywhere - have to make do with 14/2:cool:.
Finally changed the original back brake blocks last week.
The sealed bearings on the back wheel gave up a month ago so replaced those - nice quality precision wheels - appreciated that when working on them.

Note that the decals on the frame say S&G CYCLES for Muddy fox. Interesting.....

Also, I bought it from Cyclelogical in New Cavendish St London, which is where that brochure is labelled to.

I remember just how radical this bike looked back in the day - a class above everything else that was coming out at the time.
I paid £465 and still have the receipt.

Also, the photo shows the shoulder pads in the crook of the frame - I bought a set of those too as they were so radical at the time!! (Note they weren't included in the price).They're still on the bike - still love 'em.

Funny how it went thru a time up until fairly recently where it just looked so outdated, but now, it actually gets a bit of attention from the purists on my daily commute in London which is nice.
I think now it looks the brilliant and am pretty chuffed I managed to hold onto it for so long.

With all the consumables replaced and after a really good service, it runs like new.

Anyone else out there got one??

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, I just bought a rusty old red pathfinder and wonder if anyone knows what years it is? It has a 200GS and the only catalogue I can't find for that period is 1992, so I'm assuming it's a 92 bike. It's got a nice red and brown spatter paint job but it's going to take a miracle to be able to preserve it.

Attachments

• pathfinder.PNG
    pathfinder.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back