MTB races being cancelled

longun":b9v39eqp said:
but so many folk pay £300-500 for weekend listening to over rated pop stars!!!!

Yea but thats not every month, maybe once a year for those less wealthy. XC back in the late 80s early 90s was the next big thing during that time the numbers in cyclocross dipped but now they are rising again and the XC is dipping

Osella":b9v39eqp said:
Keeps people mindful of bikes being ridden off-road too, which is what's needed to keep MTBing alive, more so than annual races IMHO.

I don't think MTBing will ever die, but from chatting to the LBS's in my area the momentum has stalled with road riding picking up in popularity. It's an opinion shared by these LBS's that the format changes to the MTBike have put people off by having too many options.

Re:

On that last point, I do wonder if having so many options now has fractured the MTB core (if there was one). It means we're spoilt for choice which is great, but for racing where you have rules and parameters that rightly narrow the scope, surely that means you are already targeting fewer riders than before.

Just a thought.

Agreed, MTB has too many niches. I remember the days when an XC bike was all you needed, and some Razor blades & purple ano.

Wonder if anyone else feels the same, could start a website!

That's too bad to hear of this in the UK. On the Canadian East Coast, XC races are seeing very good turn-outs. Race fees are inexpensive.

Our local race was held on a wet and rainy day. We had 15 under-15 racers, and 40 adult racers. My 9 year old daughter raced her first race, and finished second in U13 girls :)

Here she is, 400m from the finish line:

J

As far as the 'Retro' thing goes; is it not natural that no-one under thirty something would be particularly minded to adopt fondness for bikes they never would have been contemporaries of?

The 97 cut off is built in obsolescence..

Stick Legs":q534gp0f said:
Agreed, MTB has too many niches. I remember the days when an XC bike was all you needed, and some Razor blades & purple ano.

Wonder if anyone else feels the same, could start a website!
Yup, I agree. The range of MTBs these days is truly baffling. Can you do an XC race on an enduro rig?

BITD I dabbled in a few races. Maybe I was lucky growing up near the Forest of Dean, but there was always plenty going on. It was always good to ride in new places with your mates on a course someone else had set out. Maybe the rise of the trail centre has dented this need too?

Having lived for over 10 years in London, I've only just got back into MTBimg since moving near Bedgebury in Kent. Not having kept up with the latest tech and trends, I had no idea where to start. So, back to the RC200 I always wanted as a kid!

I'm loving it, and do get some admiring glances and a few chats from some of the, ahem, more senior riders at Bedgebury. But, cycling buddies are all roadies these days, so the old 'rock up with your mates' racing is no more.

That and children getting in the way! Having said that, I've recently acquired an old 95 Zaskar for 24" wheels that I'll be building up for The Boy. Then I'll have someone to go to races with. At least until he's faster than me!

Re:

Under most rules you could do an XC race on an enduro bike - but not vice-versa.

Don't believe though that this is in any way retro v modern in terms of 'standards'.
There been many frustrated would-be entrants turned away from an enduro race for not having a full-face helmet, or kneepads (where often the pads are still optional in DH!). 'What is Enduro' and the associated 'WTF can I ride on/in' has been quite a bone of contention in the past few years. And with everyone and their dog being instructed they need a trail/traow boike; they just aren't going to suit all courses.

The last 2 races near to me were organised by different clubs (one a self-styled serious club/authority; the other an anti-car environmentalist group posing as a Bike Group; yet they had the better attitudes..).
The Authority stated your bike MUST be scrutineered, between sign-in and racing; you also had to pay your £10 fee a month in advance, for 2x DH runs with one walk of the track allowed beforehand - but set no regulations. IF your bike did not pass scrutineering, you shall not race; yet no regs were set out! :facepalm:
(This same club also organises road race/sportives, again £10 entry and gives you the route, but does not marshal or signpost the routes, so if you don't know where 'Stinkman's Lane' is, or which direction is 'proceeding southeast' you're out of luck.)
The 'fun' club organises XCCX races (Xc bikes, rigid 29ers, XC machinery all welcome), including some with a beer/cider pits each lap. Great!
Except they won't tell you where to go or where places are; so if you don't know where the entrance to the west gate of the cider orchard is, by 8am...

How hard is it for people to draw a clear map these days, and to be organised? In the old days of the Grundig at Plymouth, everything was well set out & maps (albeit hand-drawn) were photocopied or scanned & passed around. Same at Woodbury XC races (and that's not a small place)
Google Maps is no help, as for things local out in't sticks; it's only accurate to about 1/2 a mile, that's a long way in country lanes at 7:30 am trying to find somewhere that isn't signposted.. I've not encountered such issues trying to find Karting tracks; they know how to plot maps.
When I compare school jumble sales, Church fetes, kids birthday parties and the efforts people go to to organise, map, sign or direct... My take on it is that if a cycle/bike club can't be arsed to make at least that much effort for something they are demanding £10 for-with no promise that you will actually be allowed to participate- then my £10 will stay in my pocket as my emergency money for my own 'freeride', on my own time, where I choose.
Perhaps I'm just a miserable git, but perhaps some of these races don't deserve entrants if they can't make the effort they expect of you.

Back