MTB club rule says hardtail or full suspension only

Does half fat count as suspension?

Roast beef Yorkshire pud, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese carrots sprouts red wine gravy. Lovely. Happy Sunday people.

I always took that sort of thing to mean ‘don’t expect rides to be easy’.

Not encountered that.

The progression of what even a relative novice can ride on a modern full suspension bike has come on in leaps and bounds. I'm the only one in my group who rides a hardtail - the rest are on full suspension. Even new riders seem to progress very quickly on some pretty scary downhills, even if their poor skills are sometimes terrifying to watch. As a result when they have an off it often results in a trip to casualty as they are travelling faster/have fewer bail out skills and riding more challenging stuff from the off.

To have a chance of keeping up with my lot, I've replaced my XC bike with a more trail focussed hardtail. Even then I've got novice riders in the group looking on in disbelief that it is possible to ride down some stuff on my bike. That said, I had a real sense of bringing a knife to a gunfight at Dyfi bike park. I could only comfortably do the red trails. Even the relative novices were bombing down some of the blacks on their full suspension bikes.

We'd never turn away someone on a fully rigid bike, but it's noticeable that anyone on an older geometry/XC bike doesn't tend to come back.

Re:

Agree with GC on this. At least I have a lot of attention when I’m doing black trails on my hardtail. I ordered a 130/140 Fully though...

'Bike park'

Sums it up in two small words.

You 'need' a bike suitable for a bike park and in order to keep people coming back the parks get more extreme so the bikes and equipment get more extreme, its an arms race.

Then theres the Tik Tok/ YouTube generation that want to emulate each other so if you're not doing something insane for the smartphone you're just not going to get any likes

The internet then says you 'need' all sorts of exciting things that you are inadequately prepared if you dont have them - we see loads of these types (Halfords Heros) puffing away overloaded with every conceivable bit of stuff they think they will 'need' let alone the daft bike being ridden on flat tarmac.

Making you feel inadequate is what marketing is all about and what was once considered extreme ends up as an accepted normal, so now every bike has huge travel suspension and disc brakes whether your riding actually needs them or not, but if you dont have 'that' bike, you are inadequate or you're fucked if you want to ride with your Pepsi Max mates.

Just ride whatever bike wherever and however you want, but put competitiveness to one side and just enjoy the fact that you are alive

legrandefromage":zf72j80s said:
'Bike park'

Sums it up in two small words.

You 'need' a bike suitable for a bike park and in order to keep people coming back the parks get more extreme so the bikes and equipment get more extreme, its an arms race.

Then theres the Tik Tok/ YouTube generation that want to emulate each other so if you're not doing something insane for the smartphone you're just not going to get any likes

The internet then says you 'need' all sorts of exciting things that you are inadequately prepared if you dont have them - we see loads of these types (Halfords Heros) puffing away overloaded with every conceivable bit of stuff they think they will 'need' let alone the daft bike being ridden on flat tarmac.

Making you feel inadequate is what marketing is all about and what was once considered extreme ends up as an accepted normal, so now every bike has huge travel suspension and disc brakes whether your riding actually needs them or not, but if you dont have 'that' bike, you are inadequate or you're **** if you want to ride with your Pepsi Max mates.

Just ride whatever bike wherever and however you want, but put competitiveness to one side and just enjoy the fact that you are alive

We’re fortunate up here in Yorkshire to have the brilliant Dalby Forrest, you meet all sorts up here and never a cross word (a few have laughed but I don’t mind)

Re:

Oooo I don't know about that Peachy, last time out in Dalby was on the Fatbike( between lockdowns), I has some E-bike full suss weekend warriors up my backside for a few sections, they were whinging and moaning at being stuck behind me on the ups but funny thing was they couldn't keep up with me on the downs :LOL:

Re: Re:

yakboy":2f6e56ze said:
Oooo I don't know about that Peachy, last time out in Dalby was on the Fatbike( between lockdowns), I has some E-bike full suss weekend warriors up my backside for a few sections, they were whinging and moaning at being stuck behind me on the ups but funny thing was they couldn't keep up with me on the downs :LOL:

They must have been visiting from Lancashire..

urgh... the e-bikers, we get them here too, whirring away behind you. Or clipping you bars as they go by.

Sometimes it feels like I'm being pushed into buying or spending on something I dont want nor need and if I dont have that something or other then I am not a man nor will the opposite sex find me attractive...

Re:

hookooekoo posted these rules

Quote:
"Rides are suitable for conventional & electric mountain bikes, hardtail or full suspension only"

The way I see it is what do they mean by 'conventional'? Conventional covers 'rigid' in my book. :D

Back