MS Racing - New Project / Childhood Dream Bike

Nice. It was also a bike I lusted after in my younger days and I was lucky enough to get a 100% original example earlier this year although the tyres are beyond knackered really. The brownish colour XT chainrings are unusual. I've not seen them on anything else but they are original to these. Interested to see what you do paint wise as mine has faded like yours. I did speak to Gil about decals but he doesn't have them. However he seemed open to me sending him the frame to copy.

View attachment 651377
@gtturbo, I have dropped you a PM regarding sizing of the original Strong seatpost and also the width of the bars on your original CR2 to help me progress seeing what I need to do with my CR1. @goshow have you made any progress on moving your build along? 🤞

@gtturbo, I have dropped you a PM regarding sizing of the original Strong seatpost and also the width of the bars on your original CR2 to help me progress seeing what I need to do with my CR1. @goshow have you made any progress on moving your build along? 🤞
A little progress. I've collected the full XT groups for it, Some NOS Araya RM20 rims and I've already got the hubs to suit. Forks are proving to be a bit of a problem, but i'm prepared to wait.
Once I've got the forks it'll be heading up to Gil so he can recreate the decals. Then to the sprayers to either be sprayed, powder coated or possibly cerakoted if it looks right.
I've pretty much finished my Orange Aluminium Elite project and have just bought an Al-Mega XT frame and forks for a stop gap project.
The CR2 will take a while because i'd like it catalogue correct.

A little progress. I've collected the full XT groups for it, Some NOS Araya RM20 rims and I've already got the hubs to suit. Forks are proving to be a bit of a problem, but i'm prepared to wait.
Once I've got the forks it'll be heading up to Gil so he can recreate the decals. Then to the sprayers to either be sprayed, powder coated or possibly cerakoted if it looks right.
I've pretty much finished my Orange Aluminium Elite project and have just bought an Al-Mega XT frame and forks for a stop gap project.
The CR2 will take a while because i'd like it catalogue correct.
WOW! That's a serious amount of progress! 👋 Shame that bike on FB/eBay never materialised as that would have ticked off the fork and stem and handlebars, perhaps saddle as well? You'll also need to source a Strong branded seatpost (Japanese brand) which I'm also after, but not 100% essential to me! Might be easier to offer to buy @gtturbo's off him!!! 🤣 then it's job done and move onto the Al_Mega! Is it an e-stay Al-Mega or the standard double diamond frame?

WOW! That's a serious amount of progress! 👋 Shame that bike on FB/eBay never materialised as that would have ticked off the fork and stem and handlebars, perhaps saddle as well? You'll also need to source a Strong branded seatpost (Japanese brand) which I'm also after, but not 100% essential to me! Might be easier to offer to buy @gtturbo's off him!!! 🤣 then it's job done and move onto the Al_Mega! Is it an e-stay Al-Mega or the standard double diamond frame?
It’s taken me 33 years to get this far with owning a CR2, a few more years won’t hurt!!

It’s a E-stay, black and white job. 1st EOS, 1991 I believe. Pretty sure the double triangle was 1990 and only around for a year.

My mate recently bought a complete totally standard and original 1990 XT for an absolute steal. Well, £600! but I thought it was worth more. Stunning bike.

Attachments

• 4114B34A-8E42-4512-BC05-7613029011B8.jpeg
    4114B34A-8E42-4512-BC05-7613029011B8.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 3DCA85F7-5296-4771-8027-319C920CEFE1.jpeg
    3DCA85F7-5296-4771-8027-319C920CEFE1.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 20
  • E4E38251-B44E-461B-91A3-9389D02547C4.jpeg
    E4E38251-B44E-461B-91A3-9389D02547C4.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 14
  • 9630B515-CE5B-4E35-A3F9-DC794E41F7EC.jpeg
    9630B515-CE5B-4E35-A3F9-DC794E41F7EC.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 13
  • FDD39BC5-9B9F-4847-B569-39FA723BC4F6.jpeg
    FDD39BC5-9B9F-4847-B569-39FA723BC4F6.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 21
Wow that 1990 AS is lovely. What great condition and yes very much worth the £600 in that condition. Yep they were only around for 1 year (a bit like MS Racing!) before the Elevated madness took over! 🤣

I'll also keep an eye out for another MS Racing to turn up for you, what's another 2 years on top of the 33 you've waited... In the meantime sounds like you got other projects to keep you busy! 👍

Wow that 1990 AS is lovely. What great condition and yes very much worth the £600 in that condition. Yep they were only around for 1 year (a bit like MS Racing!) before the Elevated madness took over! 🤣

I'll also keep an eye out for another MS Racing to turn up for you, what's another 2 years on top of the 33 you've waited... In the meantime sounds like you got other projects to keep you busy! 👍
Thank you mate. Likewise. 👏🏻

Less than 2 months ago i picked up the frame that I'd been lusting after since i was 13. It took me 33 years to find and purchase one.

Well today I'll quote "Hi, my name is Jim and I'm addicted to buying old bikes!" o_O

Not only do I own a MS Racing CR2, I now also own an MS Racing CR1 and a 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega XT.

All three are getting total restorations. The Al-Mega will get ridden but the CR's will be show pieces.

A huge thanks to @Spanky22b for being a true gentleman and legend with the CR1 and Al-Mega.

"Boss, boss, any chance of some overtime for the next year or so?"

Attachments

• thumbnail_image2-5.jpg
    thumbnail_image2-5.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 17
  • thumbnail_image1-5.jpg
    thumbnail_image1-5.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 17
  • thumbnail_image0-6.jpg
    thumbnail_image0-6.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 17
Oh man I do love an MS Racing. I can't remember when I first heard of them but when I did I kept my eye out and managed to find what I believe is a pretty original CR1.

Damn I've had mine over a year and still haven't got round to it.
I'll have to do my own build thread when I get round to it.

If you end up getting the decals designed and remade I'd be happy to contribute to that initial cost. It would help mine out too. :)

Oh man I do love an MS Racing. I can't remember when I first heard of them but when I did I kept my eye out and managed to find what I believe is a pretty original CR1.

If you end up getting the decals designed and remade I'd be happy to contribute to that initial cost. It would help mine out too. :)
Well i never did! I've watched your youtube videos many times 👏
Tidy looking CR1 you've got there.

BTW, your CR1 isn't the lowest spec, it's the second highest.
The MS Racing Comp was a steel frame and Mountain LX
Pro Comp XT, steel frame obviously with XT
CR1 - Composite aluminium frame with Deore
CR2 - " " " with XT

Back