Moulton Standard M1 1965 (finished)

Enjoying the Moulton work, something a bit different for me, never owned or even ridden one.

Please say your workspace is bikes only? My bike/diy/woodworking/hoarding space is about the exact opposite. Your cave looks so clean an EHO would let you prepare food in there!
Just bikes and a bit of tinkering with airguns / air pistols. I honestly think one of the best investments I ever made was a loft ladder. It now takes <60 seconds to hide all the old tat I'm only going to need once every 30 years.

That's come out lovely 👍

How's the ride?
I'm very impressed. I tried it out over a few of the smaller local potholes and the suspension really smooths out the ride. It isn't ever going to be a speed machine & there is a tiny bit of play in the head tube / front suspension which I can't eliminate. But on the other hand it is nearly 60 years old and is a well thought out, quality bit of kit. Some of the new components give it a big helping hand... mega-impressed with the 4-sp rear Sturmey Archer hub (X-RF4). What a doddle to set up and shifts like a dream. The bike doesn't weight a ton either although I had expected it to. If the daughter doesn't end up using it, then I can imagine I will use it for odd jobs round town etc.

Just to tidy up loose ends I stripped and cleaned the rear hub which came off the Moulton. Staggered at how a 66 year old hub still works like the day it came out of the factory. Looks pretty tidy as well.

Before...

20221002_133942.jpg

20230511_080141.jpg

From when British engineering wasn't just the best in the world but it lasted FOR EVER too.
Thing to remember about 4 speed hubs is that the planet gears have to be timed correctly, but they're marked so it's not difficult.

Back