Modernish road bike chainset - advice please

hoonboy

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Here is my carbon fibre Orbea, bought from someone on here a few years ago. Generally happy with it and it's all I need, in my world road bikes are for cardio and MTB is for posing/fashion/having fun etc.

DSC01478.jpg

Have started doing more miles on it recently and keep looking at those cranks. Overall it's fairly lightweight but I feel the cranks may be carrying a fair chunk of mass. The bike seems to have mostly 105 components, cant tell about the levers because the writing is scratched off, but it has 105 chainrings 50T & 34T I believe yet the crankset just says 'Shimano' FC-R600 and apparently they weigh in at 885g.

DSC01479.jpg

The big ring is a bit big and the little ring is a bit small for me so I don't get a particularly useful range of gears. Where I live is fairly hilly but without huge climbs and I spin the granny ring and struggle to find opportunities to turn the biggest gear. The cranks are 170mm and I am 6 foot with long legs so they may be a bit short, otherwise the rest of the bike seems to be a good fit.

So I'm looking for a more lightweight pair of cranks in 175 or 180, with maybe 48T and 36T rings.

Try to find the ultegra level CX cranks. 36/46 and I suspect a fair chunk lighter than that.
They look like the cranks my wife has on her cx bike, but with the 36/46 rings. Really rather chunky.

Re:

If you're selling that chain set, give us a shout. I have a future project on the horizon and this might fit the bill. Got to get the frame first, and depends how much you want, so no promises, but bear it in mind, cheers

Thanks for the info, have learnt a lot about road bike cranks this evening. What I actually need are bigger legs and that will come with more cycling. Having gone out for a spin this evening it seems the 50T is not far off the mark if I make better use of the gears and I just need a bigger inside ring.

There is a swathe of Ultegra cranksets on eBay right now, the black arms will look nice with the Easton wheel set and complete the look of the bike IMO. Nice tip, and should save half a pound at the same time. There doesn't seem to be much variety in ring sizes however, either 53/39 or 50/36. The CX ones might be a little harder to come by.

Pigman, you are welcome to the old ones, I'm sure we can sort something out when the time comes.

Latest posts

Back