Modern Seiko Divers

The power reserve should be about 42 hours from fully wound. If its less than 40 hours then its probably due a service.

I hadn't spotted this topic before but it's very topical for my family at the moment :D

My brother has just lost his (very problematic) titanium Luminox after it broke its strap, for the second time ... :-(

Anyhow, the insurance paid up and he went looking - Seiko caught his eye and after dads diver (not sure on model sorry) has served him very well and gave great confidence, he opted for the new version of it. Pretty sure dads is 30 years + old and still going strong ... :cool:

Anyhow, I am seeing them both tomorrow so I will try and get pictures to add to the thread, in the meantime I was feeling left out, so I dug out my 21st present (now 19 years old). It's tiny by modern standards ! :shock:

Dads also got a titanium animal so I will snap a shot if that, if he knows where it is ... :LOL:

WD :D

I got one of them 19 years ago for my 21st as well!

Mine is not in such good condition now though. :LOL:

IMG_0107.jpg

Out of all the watches I've got, I've only got two that are all titanium, my (JDM) Oceanus, all titanium, with sapphire glass, and carbide coating to the ti:-

and a JDM Lineage:-

which, unfortunately, doesn't have sapphire glass - but that's so they could sell the Oceanus version with some value add.

I've got a Pro-Trek with a titanium bracelet, but the case is more G-Shock-y...

The Lineage and Pro-Trek have the Tough Movement - so as well as being solar powered and multiband 6 (atomic clock sync using 6 distinct bands / signals), they also correct the hand positions every hour (if need be) and have an enhanced mount to deal with shock.

Attachments

• IMG_20140701_133902.jpg
    IMG_20140701_133902.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,923
  • IMG_20140701_134117.jpg
    IMG_20140701_134117.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,923
  • IMG_00000245.jpg
    IMG_00000245.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,923
  • IMG_20140809_171222.jpg
    IMG_20140809_171222.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,923
firedfromthecircus":2rbv28qm said:
I got one of them 19 years ago for my 21st as well!

Mine is not in such good condition now though. :LOL:

In all honesty, that’s in very good condition compared to what mine did look like ...

Mine was a daily watch, at quite an active period in my life and it never left my wrist - biking, water skiing, drinking etc :LOL:

The strap (rubber) was aging but the main damage was from climbing through an apartment window (girls + alcohol fuelled + rendered wall :LOL:) on a lads holiday and by brother finished it off (alcohol fuelled again :LOL:) dragging me by my feet on my backside, I put my hands out behind me but the watch had rotated and was on the underside of my wrist ... :facepalm: :-(

Anyhow, a trip to the jewellers for an OE repair :

· New strap (upgraded to metal).
· New glass.
· New bezel.
· New pin thing (whatever its technical name is).
· Casing buffed / polished / refinished.
· New battery.
· Service.

And it looks like the picture I posted above :cool:

From memory BITD, I think rubber strapped variants retailed for £169 and metal straps variants were £225 – can you remember ?

Yours was actually the other colour scheme I was choosing between – At least I (we) had enough foresight to realise that some of the neon schemes wouldn’t age to well … :LOL:

Anyhow, back on topic, this is my brothers new Seiko :

This is dads relic (circa 30 to 35 years old), It started life on a metal strap and has had numerous battery replacements, one new glass and about six rubber straps :

And this is dads Ti animal I mentioned. It’s 13 years old now (60th present from family) and his favourite one to wear, the only problem is he struggles to read it now as the hands blend into the face … :LOL:

Can't remember the price WD, though £180 is in my head for some reason, or was it £130. I remember the bracelet was beyond my budget though. I took the rubber strap off mine straight away and put it on an Animal strap. :LOL: Wish I could find it now!

I vaguely remember some of the bright colour ones, but I have a thing for black face watches.

lume-trio-2.jpg

prs29BOSMP.jpg

Even my G-Shock is a black face. ;)

g-shock-face.jpg

I have thought about getting the Tag fixed up, so interested to hear yours has been. What kind of money are we looking at?

Neon Tags, so wrong ...

womens_tag_heuer_formula_1_pro_200m_quartz_373___508_bracelet_orange_bezel_1_lgw.jpg

vintage_tag_heuer_f1_classic_mens_watch_1_lgw.jpg

Although I actually quite like the grey strapped one (for sports use) ...

panel_1-2.jpg

If you find your strap and don't want it, I could be interested ;-)

I think I have the receipt for the repair, if I fancy upsetting myself I will have another look at it, it wasn't cheap ... :-( but it was a special present and something I will keep forever, so worth it in the long run ... ;-)

Anoyingly, the (official) place that repairs tags is local to me (or at least it was), but it's an unbranded building that won't deal with the public - you have to go through an official outlet / reseller ... :-(

Re:

firedfromthecircus":uitfpram said:
I have thought about getting the Tag fixed up... What kind of money are we looking at?

If you send it to Tag I think they currently charge around £170 for a quartz service plus parts :shock: .

I bought a F1 chrono new back in 2000 and it was Tags £70 battery changes and then the dealer telling me that it would also need a service (currently £230 for a quartz chrono) because it was over 5 years old that prompted me into doing it myself. I've since learned that when you send a quartz for servicing that Tag simply replace the movement and fit a new glass etc if required. The standard ETA quartz movements found in most Tags can be purchased for as little as £15 so it makes no sense doing a movement service on them. If you want to fix it up and don't want a bill for more than the watch is worth then avoid Tag and the official dealers and take it to an independent watchmaker.

http://watchpart.co.uk/heuer-vintage-mi ... 9_471.html

Re: Re:

Fudd":1lldm2d8 said:
firedfromthecircus":1lldm2d8 said:
I have thought about getting the Tag fixed up... What kind of money are we looking at?

If you send it to Tag I think they currently charge around £170 for a quartz service plus parts :shock: .

I bought a F1 chrono new back in 2000 and it was Tags £70 battery changes and then the dealer telling me that it would also need a service (currently £230 for a quartz chrono) because it was over 5 years old that prompted me into doing it myself. I've since learned that when you send a quartz for servicing that Tag simply replace the movement and fit a new glass etc if required. The standard ETA quartz movements found in most Tags can be purchased for as little as £15 so it makes no sense doing a movement service on them. If you want to fix it up and don't want a bill for more than the watch is worth then avoid Tag and the official dealers and take it to an independent watchmaker.

http://watchpart.co.uk/heuer-vintage-mi ... 9_471.html

Thanks for that.

I have always changed the battery in the Tag myself. Maybe I should just take the next step and fix it up myself too. ;)

I both agree and disagree with the above, I think it depends on a lot of factors which route you go down.

For me, the watch meant a lot to me, as does keeping certain things as original as possible (the watch being one of them).

Yes, I probably could have had the repair done cheaper (or bought another watch for what I spent :LOL:), but to me that wasn't the point - the story, the history, the era of my life it represents and the originality was more important (and I had just had my bonus :LOL:)

Every part is original and the receipts / work sheets carry the same names and addresses as the original documentation :

This thread has kind of sparked my interest again and if I could pick a well-worn one up cheaply, I might be tempted to wear it in place of my G Shock. The daily one would be subject to the cheapest (quality) repairs and servicing available as it would just have a job to do and I would have no historical / sentimental connection to it.

If I was ever to inherit any of dads watches :-( they would be serviced though official / approved / authorised channels, just as he has done.

Can you see where I am coming from ?

Back