Modern bike question (sorry)

Just remembered that you can get an upgrade to a steel body freehub on the ProII, £50 though.

Lighter better built wheels will make quite a difference to a bikes handling, better acceleration & deceleration as well as quicker steering.

Ok NOW:
REAR:
Spoke Upgrades: DT Comp S/S DB
Rim Upgrades: XC717 Disc
Hub Upgrades: Hope Pro 11 135mm Std Q/R
Pro 11 Hub Colour: Blue

Handbuilt Wheels - Front Disc Spoke Upgrades: DT Comp S/S DB
Hub Upgrades: Hope Pro 11 Q/R Disc

Was specd as XT up front but I guess would look odd with Hope rear in blue and a black XT on front.

Ther seems to be a couple of other disk options 20 or 15mm - have I got the right one above as I just need to screw the old ones on dont I?
Mind you the front disk isnt straight on the existing wheel.

The cassette is XT Andy - so that should be a straight fit off old wheel to new yeah?

Antiquekona":3gye4q31 said:
Ok NOW:
REAR:
Spoke Upgrades: DT Comp S/S DB
Hub Upgrades: Hope Pro 11 135mm Std Q/R

Handbuilt Wheels - Front Disc Spoke Upgrades: DT Comp S/S DB
Hub Upgrades: Hope Pro 11 Q/R Disc

Was specd as XT up front but I guess would look odd with Hope rear in blue and a black XT on front.

Ther seems to be a couple of other disk options 20 or 15mm - have I got the right one above as I just need to screw the old ones on dont I?
Mind you the front disk isnt straight on the existing wheel.

The cassette is XT Andy - so that should be a straight fit off old wheel to new yeah?
get a nice big f**k off rotor up front 185mm or a dinner plate :D man i <3 big rotors!

the 15mm & 20mm refers to the front hub, as you have QR you need the normal QR hub

6 bolt hubs if you have 6 bolt rotors, some shimano discs are centrelock (needs a cassette tool to remove them) Easy to spot the difference

XT cassette will be no prob

You can true up a rotor with a clean adjustable spanner (there are proper tools for this though) little tweaks to the rotor & you should end up with a trued rotor

Your selection looks good AntiqueKona. The rims you have selected are silver, the black ones are just down the list a little if you want black rims.

Just to throw a spanner in the works for you, I may be selling my newly built up black XT disc hubs (qr), black spokes, on mint D521CD rims (1 ride only) as I've picked up a pair of red Hope Bulbs on D521CD's (even though the back needs re-building as the rim is cracked but I have a spare D521CD rim for that).

As I say, I MAY be selling. Just thought I'd mention it :twisted:

Rocker9455":2592uay1 said:
get a nice big f**k off rotor up front 185mm or a dinner plate :D man i <3 big rotors!

185's :LOL: Get some 203's. That's what I run but then I am a fat barsteward :oops:

xizang":3gafrczi said:
Rocker9455":3gafrczi said:

185's :LOL: Get some 203's. That's what I run but then I am a fat barsteward :oops:
180/185 Front & 160/165 Rear rotors are usually enough for most riders most of the time, 203 Front is for the *ahem* larger gentleman or the full on DH nutjobs

I have a 2008 Kula and while some of the kit seems a bit low rent for a bike that retails at nearly 1k (mostly the inclusion of the Deore kit) the frame, forks, brakes, rear mech and rims seem pretty good and get good reviews. I enjoy riding mine and it gives a good experience off road. The brakes did sqeal to start with but the Monkeys at Halfords didn't align them properley. Once I sorted them they were fine and give good power and modulation.

Carl.

Yeah - dont get me wrong, probably coming across that I hate the bike - which I dont. I jumped on it and it instantly had the characteristics of any other Kona I have jumped on - it just needs fine tuning up front for my style of riding and in my opinion making a bit lighter. Maybe I need to do more research - but besides the rims being a complete mare if you get a puncture they are from research so far pretty poor standard for a bike clocking on for 1k RRP IMO.
However if the proposed upgrade isnt an upgrade worth doing then I shall have to think again.
So - are the Sun rims poor/ are they worth changing for the proposed set?

The Sun rims are low cost and kinda heavy. If it were me, I'd build or buy a set of wheels with tubeless rims-Mavic make a really nice one with double wall construction to seal the air in and they are very light. Then you can mount light tubeless tires-If you ride 2.0 width's, the Intense System 2 UST 2.0 tubeless tire weighs only 570 grams, and remember, there is no 110-200 gram tube to add weight to the wheel. With the Mavic rims you don't have to add sealant either-which some rims need-and also less weight. As far as your bent rotor, if you can't straighten it, new ones are fairly inexpensive, an XT rotor over here costs about $43.00 for a new one.

Back