Mixing old and new, old TA / Stronglight compact with modern

Re:

You can have a real tiny chainring
But if you're wanting something of normal size with that small bcd, it will be really flexy

Should be fine with the Velo Orange or Rene Herse or (if you can happily blow £600 :shock: ) Chater-Lea cranks, as they are all modern look-alike cranks, but watch out if you opt for the original TA Cyclotouriste or Stonglight 49 cranks.
These have a very small gap between the inside face of the crank and the outer chainring.
No problem with old fashioned front mechs with dead flat outer plates (such as Simplex, Campag and MAVIC), but tend to catch on modern curvy shaped and ramped outer cages.

All the best,

Re: Re:

Tommy27":22ur6a6a said:
These might, but only seem to be 170 and I prefer 165
andel-compact-cranks_daadb44e-e327-4399-9b35-f3404cd5fb86.jpg

https://www.velovitality.co.uk/collecti ... e-chainset

I have the Andel chainset on my Mercian 650B conversion, its not great TBH, I think the spider is out a little as I get rub on the mech in some gears at one point of the revolution, running 10 speed though, and it is a fairly cheap/light set up (I bought it at trade though!).

danson67":1k7wbh4b said:
Should be fine with the Velo Orange or Rene Herse or (if you can happily blow £600 :shock: ) Chater-Lea cranks, as they are all modern look-alike cranks, but watch out if you opt for the original TA Cyclotouriste or Stonglight 49 cranks.
These have a very small gap between the inside face of the crank and the outer chainring.
No problem with old fashioned front mechs with dead flat outer plates (such as Simplex, Campag and MAVIC), but tend to catch on modern curvy shaped and ramped outer cages.

All the best,

Thanks for this, to be honest I hadn't thought about that. The missus actually had a Mavic 810 Front mech on her Cross bike, that was my dad's previously but wasn't in use. Unfourtunately she dropped our son's bike on it and the clamp has sheered I think?

But this is proving less simple than I had hoped after intially getting excited that it would work? I kind of want to try this out more cheaply before investing in a new chainset.

Rod_Saetan":1k7wbh4b said:
Tommy27":1k7wbh4b said:
These might, but only seem to be 170 and I prefer 165
andel-compact-cranks_daadb44e-e327-4399-9b35-f3404cd5fb86.jpg

https://www.velovitality.co.uk/collecti ... e-chainset

I have the Andel chainset on my Mercian 650B conversion, its not great TBH, I think the spider is out a little as I get rub on the mech in some gears at one point of the revolution, running 10 speed though, and it is a fairly cheap/light set up (I bought it at trade though!).

There's also a Dia Compe version that looks exactly the same, but costs more. So I guess that's something to scratch off the list!

Yes, 11spd will be fine with 10spd..
Basically, the more gears on the cassette, the narrower the chain is, so the thinner the chainring teeth need to be.
So it's all essentially backwards compatible, but always try to us the correct chain for the chainset if possible (cassette permitting), as in theory, the narrow 11sp chain could get jammed between the rings on a 10spd (or older) chainset, as they are wider spaced.

All the best,

Latest posts

Back