milling slots in cranks to lighten them

The hillowtech xt and other similarly named cranks are so called cos they are holllow
A u shaped forging has the open side welded to form hollow box
Look on weightweenie web site as somebody milled thd reverse out on one of the

Milling clamps and such as on WD's Marin is one thing, but I have seen first hand what can happen to a mans calf when a crank snaps. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would certainly never ride modified cranks. :LOL:

xerxes":21lnr0nl said:
Used to see a fair amount of "drillium" on time trial bikes back in the 80s, brakes, seat posts, stems, derailleurs and cranks that were more hole than metal. When well done it looks great, but I'm not sure how safe it is. :shock:

5034298304_cce55f9c4d.jpg

Lots more: http://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindo ... 0QWzr4DYDA

That is beautifully done. Wouldnt ride it but would certainly love a set just to hang on the garage wall.

My advice is not tot modify cranks by e.g. milling. The reason for this is that these parts are subjected tot low cycle fatigue. Unless you have designed the cranks yourselves you will be unaware of any stress concentrations and possible crack initiation.
Polishing though is an option to s(h)ave some grams.

Looks a bit iffy to me, especially on something as subject to stress as cranks. Can't help thinking you'd save as much weight by taking a piss. But I guess that's not the point...

WD Pro":19uqdwdj said:
littleblackflash":19uqdwdj said:
I just brought another cannondale and the XT brake levers have a slot milled in the handle bar clamp which was another weight weenie trick.

DSC06646.jpg

WD :D

How are these done & where can I get it done? :D

They were done at work on the milling machine with a dividing head. I mounted them like this :

The milling machine, dividing head and the building they were in are all gone / flattened ... :cry:

WD :D

Back