Mid Eighties E.G Bates Tourer

Cool! Probably a tourer then. Side on pic, the b/b doesn't look so high. Nice bike whatever it is :)
Yeah - compared side by side with my '82 Raleigh Gran Sport and bb looked to be a similar height.

After a couple of rides I could resist the urge no longer and stripped the bike down to give it a good once over.

Frame number under bottom bracket. Hard to make out but I think its 2961 - not sure how Bates numbered their frames and whether a date can be decoded from this?

qFbwzufl.jpg

Decided to take the plunge with sandpaper and spray paint to clean up some of the worst areas of corrosion (namely the chain stays). The frame had been badly touched up in many places with what looked like magnolia emulsion......so cleaned off as much of that as possible too.

D9TVE0ql.jpg

b6PoBNql.jpg

H77Xtd7l.jpg

Looking much more presentable...

qiBZKPyl.jpg

But then it wouldn't have down tube lever bosses, it would have cable stops.

I reckon it's older than 80s from the lug type, long dropouts and over bracket cables. Maybe had an 80s repaint if that's 80s colour and transfers
I disagree. 80s Holdsworth Special is just like this, (lugs apart) using the same fork crown and bb shell. I don't think those 'pantographed' top-eyes were in evidence on British frames before the '80s, or at least the late '70s?

I've certainly seen evidence of Nervex pro lugs on 80s machines......on the ClassicLightweights page for Nervex pro lugs they show a 1986 Mercian as an example.

Would love to decode the frame number but there seems to be very little on EG Bates bikes online......

Is the frame number any clearer on the fork steerer?

There is a F902287 frame number from 1982 http://www.mcmullon.com/icollect/bicycle/eg_bates/eg_bates_19_frame_receit.jpg
I think that's the receipt from the '92 built frame (he mentions having a second frame built in 92 for his missus in the writeup). The '81 bike in that article has the same frame colour and font as my bike but much more plain lugs.....but has the same canti brakes. No mention of its frame number unfortunately.

Second thought of the day - which is far too many for a Friday. You could try contacting the Veteran Cycle Club to find out if there is an EG Bates marque enthusiast. Or find someone with VCC access to check for you. Is Peachy the Claud Butler marque enthusiast?

Second thought of the day - which is far too many for a Friday. You could try contacting the Veteran Cycle Club to find out if there is an EG Bates marque enthusiast. Or find someone with VCC access to check for you. Is Peachy the Claud Butler marque enthusiast?
Good idea......

Can't remember how you summon @Peachy! .......say his name 3 times whilst looking a mirror or summat like that (or I could just ask him on facebook). :LOL:

After giving the frame a good paint cut and polish and a coat of wax I moved onto components.

ODLmBUrl.jpg

Original bars were nice - but bent so I had a rummage in the shed and found some not-period-correct GB bars. Bit of light corrosion but they're cleaned up reasonably well.

6yZYWG1l.jpg

N7Jwj6el.jpg

After junking the heavy and worn out drivetrain I needed cranks and derailleurs - from a previous purchase I had a Shimano 600 arabesque groupset which has minimal wear begging to be used.

gOXA0hal.jpg

0QDlDNwl.jpg

I disagree. 80s Holdsworth Special is just like this, (lugs apart) using the same fork crown and bb shell. I don't think those 'pantographed' top-eyes were in evidence on British frames before the '80s, or at least the late '70s?
This is my 82 Mistral with over BB guides and long dropouts which are ideal for mudguards or fatter tyres. Originally built for 27inch wheels but now running with 700c for better tyre options up to 40mm. The bottom bracket height is quite high at 185mm which is handy when riding off road on heavily rutted tracks...👍

20210110_153310.jpg

Back