Mercian? Please help identify this frame

Re:

Just caught this thread.

Firstly I have to disagree with all the previous above postings. Mercian certainly did put the frame number on the rear dropouts in the 1950s. I have had Mercian frames with certain provenance with this feature. Frame number suggests a build date of 1955. Some frame numbers start with the year, others end with the year. I have seen examples of both on Mercian frames made in the same year.

Secondly, previous correspondents don't recognise the lugs? Nervex super leggere. Used by Mercian on second quality frames. This is further confirmed by the seat stay caps. This would suggest that you have a Mercian Campionissimo. I would suggest you contact Mercian Cycles to see if they can confirm this for you.

:roll:

They are not legere....
If anything, the shape is more familiar with the professional, but they are different to those as well.
They have the 'tangs' on the side cuts, but these seem to have a 'trident' at the front, which none of the nervex range had.....

Re:

Leggere as Professional were available in different styles. I can only speak from my limited experience of over half a century around bicycles. Can't and won't claim to be any kind of Guru, sorry. You obviously know best.

Well done, congratulations, have a jam sandwich.

It's not only lug identification you learnt in those 50 years plus, is it? You also managed to perfect condescension on Internet forums.
I could well be wrong, it has happened before on occasion, but any input I put on here normally would aim to be helpful. You may of tried that too, but your use of the "roll eyes" smiley me at that you failed. Your post managed do what no other post has for me on the Internet..........you clearly are a guru in something.

Re:

Thanks for all your help, although still none the wiser to whom could have made this frame.
But please stop the bitching and one-upmanship.

Back