MB Cycles Road Bike

swanndoggz

Retro Newbie
Hi All im kind of new to the retro bikes, Recently Purchased what i think is a mid to late 80s MB Dronfield, It is in Fabulous Condition and is all original even down to the tyres. I have been in touch with Vernon Barker Cycles (which is the same company) to find out when the bike was made. however it seems to be a frame made by another manufacturer and then refurbished an re-built. It appears to be a mid spec bike for the day with shimano 105 derailleurs, Sugino Crank along with the standard issue Weinmann alloy side pull brakes. Only thing ive noticed is a heart symbol on the underside of the down tube so i was wondering if this could be the frame maker.

mb%20cycle_zpsyd5cezcx.jpg
[/url][/img]

Re:

I think I can help you a bit, having grown up with MB/VB and it was my LBS, certainly with regards to frames.

I think Dave runs the shop now, Vernon having retired. Haven't been for a few years

Back in day these frames were bought mass-produced and painted to a single colour choice. I can tell this by the transfers used. Vernon always put the head tube transfer on the seat tube if it wasn't a frame he had built and the downtube sticker was slightly different (like yours). They were fairly low grade tubing (Falk or similar) and were bought as winter bikes (in those days club riders had a heavier winter bike with full guards, unlike nowadays).

So, it's ok, and enjoy it, but it isn't the quality of a 531 or Columbus SL frame

Re: Re:

pigman":2izmrknj said:
I think I can help you a bit, having grown up with MB/VB and it was my LBS, certainly with regards to frames.

I think Dave runs the shop now, Vernon having retired. Haven't been for a few years

Back in day these frames were bought mass-produced and painted to a single colour choice. I can tell this by the transfers used. Vernon always put the head tube transfer on the seat tube if it wasn't a frame he had built and the downtube sticker was slightly different (like yours). They were fairly low grade tubing (Falk or similar) and were bought as winter bikes (in those days club riders had a heavier winter bike with full guards, unlike nowadays).

So, it's ok, and enjoy it, but it isn't the quality of a 531 or Columbus SL frame

Thanks for the info!, thats interesting. it was Dave i had been in touch with. The Frame is Tange 900 so im guessing lower end, the bike isnt all that heavy though 12kg (well compared to my 1986 raleigh pursuit anyway). the green on the frame is painted and clearcoated, so a quality finish, just funny how the MB decal on the head tube has been cut down to fit between the lugs :LOL: .even if the frame isnt buit by MB its still interesting having a bike from a small british manufacturer.

Back