Maximum tyre width / profile...

Marts500

Dirt Disciple
I am starting my 1st road retro buildup and have an early 90's Aluminium Shogun Team issue frameset.I am wanting to start commuting with it when ready and am wondering about the widest tyres usually fitted onto this era frame & fork...?

I am not familiar with that particular bike, but frames from that era weren't exactly known for their generous tyre clearance ... 😟

Having said that, it should be easy to judge by eye. Measure what you've got on there now, tyrewise, and see how much room you've got left. You'll want at least a couple of millimeters clearance on all sides.

Edit: if you haven't got anything available for a trial fit, I'd say that anything wider than 25mm may well be too much.

Cheers...i tried the front rim with a 32c off my modern road bike...but it was far too big.I suppose a 25 tyre would be best ...a 28 might be too big also.

At that age it's usually 20 or 23 that fit. You might just get away with 25.

Exactly. Not necessarily a bad thing, though, as there are excellent 25mm tyres these days that are light and pretty comfy as well, as long as the potholes aren't too big. Panaracer, Challenge and Vittoria are brands that come to mind.

Conti GP5000 always seem to be discounted in 23C these days are are lovely, although I don't use them in winter as it's too flinty round me.

Back