Wanted Mavic 571/2 HG rear hub or Mavic 3G Shimano HG compatible hub or free hub

Doubledee

rBotM Winner
Hi, I'm looking for a Mavic 571/2 or a Mavic 3g trispoke Shimano hyperglide compatible hub or just the free hub part. I need it to go on my Mavic 3G trispoke so I can use a 9 speed shimano cassette, either in any condition considered, even as part of a wheelset as they are the only free hubs compatible with the Mavic 3G cartridge hubs. I already have the Mavic specific splined cassette hub (picture below) so I only need the free hub part to swap out, I hope someone can help
Kind regards Darren
1655126225687.png 1655126368567.png

G'day Darren,

I'm well aware that it's now been 6 months since you sent your message above but between a decent hit of Covid at the start of the year & then a freaking heart attack that required a stent (& I only turned 49 last Sunday) exactly 6 months ago this week, I've not been much involved in anything related to bikes this year, unfortunately...but between my gradually improving health & the weather down here that's been improving even more rapidly than I have, I'm getting back into it & have my 11 'dream frames' (the majority of which I've now owned for close to a decade) that I'm about to begin restoring &/or building up with components that I've also had stored for far too long now, so I'm also back upon these sites that I enjoy so much!

So, may I enquire about how you fared with your search for the 9-speed freehub &/or cassette to suit &/or complete replacement of the hub in the end, mate? Although it seems that no one responded to your enquiry on here from 6 months ago, I've no doubt that you would have found some joy in the form of some assistance (information &/or actual sale(s)) from others upon any/some other sites that you may have also tried - but I'm still keen to see how you fared & what the eventual outcome was. And I'm guessing that you discovered that your original Mavic hub/freehub shown in the photos above was actually the original 571, rather than the 571/2 - the outer cog of the 571 was threaded (hence the threading on the outer end of the freehub), whereas the 571/2 (much like Shimano's HG/Hyperglide) utilised a lockring at the end of the freehub that obviously required internal threading for it upon the inside of the freehub, rather than the outside of the 571 freehub.

I've been a massive fan of the 571 & 571/2 HG hubs for a few years now & am fortunate to own 3 complete hubsets in both versions but as the proprietary Mavic cassettes for both the 571 & 571/2 (NOT the 571/2 HG) are as rare as rocking horse $hit, those hubsets of mine are now seeming to be about as useful at tits upon a bull - although I do soon plan to have a go at trying to convert one of my 8-speed Shimano HG cassettes to a proprietary Mavic cassette via the use of a Dremel tool, so who really knows how that'll turn out?!

OK mate, please excuse the crazy verbosity of my reply here & who even knows whether you will ever receive it?! But if you do, as today is the 24th December, then I wish you a very happy Xmas for tomorrow & I sincerely hope that your crazy winter has chilled out (AWFUL choice of wording in this case, I know but you know what I mean!) a bit & warmed up/gotten a tad less freezing than it's been of late!

Cheers & best wishes from sunny 'Down Under', bud & as a near-lifelong LOOK, TVT, Mavic & Shimano NUT, I freaking loved reading the current stable of bikes that you possess - absolute thoroughbred class there! And my username should clearly attest the combination of my all-time favourite cycling team & cyclist, hence the longtime love of LOOK & TVT, not to mention Mavic (re: Greg's legendary '89 TDF victory with ADR-Agrigel - who used TVT 92 & Bottecchia frames with Mavic SSC components, including the classic 631 'starfish' crankset & a number of other newly produced components that I still love so much & try to collect - following his near-fatal accidental hunting shooting by his B-I-L in early '87, following his equally legendary TDF victory over another Frenchman, 'The Badger', in 1986) as well!!

Matt Forrester.

Hi Matt
Thank you for replying and glad to hear you are on the mend. Yes I found a pair of Mavic 571/2 HG hubs for approx £200 in the summer and swapped out the cassette freehub onto my Mavic 3G hub and it worked a treat so I now have a pair of mint Mavic hubs (I used to race these hubs all the time in the 1980’s) with the uni glide spare but can’t use that on Mektronic as it’s 9 speed only…also as a backup I’ve got the sunrace screw on 9 speed freewheel on a screw on Mavic 3G hub that works fine. The Look bike with Mavic Mektronic and 3G trispokes certainly gets some looks when I’m out on it.
All the best
Darren

Attachments

• 39F37CEF-7635-440B-B070-165458E4F3D6.jpeg
    39F37CEF-7635-440B-B070-165458E4F3D6.jpeg
    589.7 KB · Views: 8
Back