Marzocchi bomber Allen key size?

Frank Stross

Dirt Disciple
Hello, I am hoping someone holds the answer to my question. I have a set of Marzocchi Bomber mx comp ETA (2003) forks. According to the instruction manual I understand that the rebound is adjusted internally with an Allen key within the right leg after removing the top cap. But does not say what size key to use. I have an extension rod and Allen key set but still do not seem to engage with anything positive down the leg. If anybody knows what size Allen key I should be using would be very helpful.

Re:

The Allen key that Marzocchi supply measures 3mm-ish on my Vernier. It's more like a long thin rod really measuring 300mm in length, so I would imagine that you will find it fiddly trying to engage a 3mm Allen key on the end of an extension rod.

Pip

Re:

Thank you for the information. I have a socket set Allen key that fits on an extension bar that will reach down inside the stantion. I have now tried this with the 3mm key and it appears to be slipping. I can feel it bumping over as I turn it. These forks were bought second hand so a previous owner may have applied too much force and rounded the fitting. I can either leave it where it is or file down a 4mm Allen key and see if that will fit better.

Re:

Mmm, that is a shame. I was trying to find out what the Rebound adjuster Allen socket was made of. If it's nylon, you may find that a Torx bit will wedge in there easily enough. If it's steel, it may require a bit of force, which doesn't seem like a good idea. I just tried a T15 in a random M3 Allen bolt, which was a bit sloppy. T20 may be too big to tap in, unless it does have a nylon adjuster.

Pip.

Back