Wanted Marin Team 1989/90

There is a complete bike on ebay currently although the original wheels are missing. They would have been Araya RM17 rims on XT hubs from memory.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the reply, yes, I did see that, but the frame looks rather beaten, (see third picture) so wasn't sure I could clean that up much? What do you think?

]You do see quite a lot that have rusted like that and as far as I know no one has really perfected a way of recreating the finish and colour. I have read people used WD40 to clean zolatone with some sucess. My own 1990 Team has some rust issues but not as bad as the one pictured and I'm probably going to experiment at some point and try a respray. There was a really nice 90 Team for sale on here recently but I think that sold, have a search. The seller with the ebay one seems to make a point of the wheels costing £300. I was half tempted to offer them £150 without the wheels but I really dont need yet another bike. Also if you end up getting a frame try and get the seatpost. I forget the exact size but it's something really weird like 30.2 so quite hard to find a replacement.

I dont think so, as I recollect 90 is zolatone, whereas 91 is 'Charcoal zolatone 2000'. Ive got both 90 and 91 marins and they consist of the same rough texture.

]You do see quite a lot that have rusted like that and as far as I know no one has really perfected a way of recreating the finish and colour. I have read people used WD40 to clean zolatone with some sucess. My own 1990 Team has some rust issues but not as bad as the one pictured and I'm probably going to experiment at some point and try a respray. There was a really nice 90 Team for sale on here recently but I think that sold, have a search. The seller with the ebay one seems to make a point of the wheels costing £300. I was half tempted to offer them £150 without the wheels but I really dont need yet another bike. Also if you end up getting a frame try and get the seatpost. I forget the exact size but it's something really weird like 30.2 so quite hard to find a replacement.
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the seat tube! I never knew that...

Yes....90 /91 zolatone.....89 paint light grey.....im pretty sure as i sold marins in this period and I've got one!

What you need to remember is the next years model we're sold prior to year end. I forget the timings but let's say August. So with that in mind it would be entirely possible to buy the 90 model in say Augist 89. What @Tootyred has said above is correct regards the years/colours. The 89 was really light gray, almost white, with normal paint not Zolatone. Here's the one I restored last year.

20220919_173136.jpg

Back