Marin Rocky Ridge

bezzer

Retro Newbie
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding a Marin Rocky Ridge 93' model aluminium frame bike I have just bought.
The question is: would it be possible to restore the frame?,It has been stored in a garage since the late 90's and has some oxidisation under the lacquer in places,the bike is so original I'd like to have it stripped,polished and have new decals applied before a re-lacquer,There are no dents,scratches or cracks at all,just the cosmetics I have mentioned.

Does anyone know of anybody capable of restoring the frame to it's former glory?,and are the decals still available for it?.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

rr 93

good choice my good man. I had the same model 12 months ago.

Stiff frames but fairly comfy for alu too. 7005 iirc. Right, i hope it still sports the DX groupset! As it suits the bike like nowt else.

The frame. I cant recommend anybody but easy enough to get it looking better yourself. I cant put a link up from the fone im on but use the search in the top right corner for alu polishing and you will be spoilt for choice for polishing advice. Laquer isn't generally advised on bare metal but clear anodising may be an option?..

Decal wise, gil_m is the resident decal guru and bobcatmax also has credentials there.

Get some pics and a progress report up in the readers bikes---97.

When stipping components off dont be alarmed if you see the bottom bracket with cup on driveside, which seems wrong way round. Remove as normal as this was a marin thing for alu frame models.

Good luck.

+1 on the diy thing
strip polish then apply the decals ,youll need to polish it often ,but old bikes like that sort of thing

welcome to "stuff the heating bill i've just bought this" .com

I often wonder giving the amount it costs to have it sandblasted and powder coated..ie not big money,,is the diy route worth all the cost and effort involved?

think he just wants the bare alloy finish tho so nitromors and wire wool route , unless theres someone local with stripping vats
course some metal re-finishers would strip and polish for 80 or so quid
be a top job too

Thanks for the great advice chaps,I wouldn't have known where to start!.

I'll look into getting the decals from the sources you mentioned and study the link to get some clear direction.

As you correctly mention Mikee,I am just looking for the original alloy finish,as the bike has a lot of sentimental value to me.

Thanks again lads,all advice very much appreciated :D .

Back