Marin Pine Mountain- Browning specific frame?

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Marin Pine Mountain in very rough condition and over priced.....but I reckon that’s a 1 1/4” headset size. The front end height looks much lower than standard with that fork - makes me think this is one of the Limited edition Browning fork versions, but without the Specific fork, it’s only probably worth a tenth of the asking price.

What does the collective reckon?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254613608724

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

This could be anything, I don't recall any Marins with flouro headtubes, and the font looks wrong so unless the limited editions had a different paint job etc because of the forks then who knows. I'd want to see a frame number, but the rack eyes and bridge look right without going to check against mine.

STX was not a range expected on a Pine, so its obviously been messed around with a lot but if you broke it the bits might realise the asking price, only needs, frame £40, DX wheel £20, other wheel £10, gear levers and mechs £10 each, chainset £20, everything else ? the effort to do so means not really worth it and something is bound to be a challenge and stuck or broken, but a tenth of the asking price even being "controversial" ? If you wanted a Pine project yourself I am not sure you'd start here.........

Re: Re:

daugs":3ssnlm86 said:
This could be anything, I don't recall any Marins with flouro headtubes, and the font looks wrong so unless the limited editions had a different paint job etc because of the forks then who knows. I'd want to see a frame number, but the rack eyes and bridge look right without going to check against mine.

Check out the pine mountain Browning suspension in my signature.
What makes me think this is different is that looks like a short head tube in a 1 1/4” size.
The browning suspension limited edition was the only Marin to use a 1 1/4” ‘Evolution’ headset size. It needed that to accommodate the browning fork, that was only in that size. The geometry was specific to use that fork too - it wasn’t the normal ‘92 pine mountain with a fork added on. The colour scheme was different too - some of the European ‘team issue’ frames use that colour break up with the head tube too.

The spec of this eBay one is completely mashed up - Deore DX would have been the original spec...I reckon only the front mech and wheel are original. Without the fork though....it’s worthless.

boy"O"boy

Re:

Interesting, so they made the frame specifically, with the paint job, I bow to your expertise on the specifics but the other bits still have a value if you broke into bits even if the frame is worthless, and wouldn't be to someone with a browning fork maybe. I agree compared to yours it is worthless as a bike but not in bits IMHO I'd pay something......stx stuff has a value just not a high one to right person, and dx / xtr has a value as well, if not worn out, are we comparing apples and pears ?

Some of the other stuff on ebay at the moment is unbelieveable

For worthless check this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARIN-ELDRID ... Swu3BeylLm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264755800390 ... 4755800390 it sold but relisted ??

and saw another 1991/2 eldridge sell for £280 the other day, values are on the up, some are asking £400 and above :shock: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-Marin-E ... SwHjxevRmO

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
boy"O"boy":39occlvj said:
Marin Pine Mountain in very rough condition and over priced.....but I reckon that’s a 1 1/4” headset size. The front end height looks much lower than standard with that fork - makes me think this is one of the Limited edition Browning fork versions, but without the Specific fork, it’s only probably worth a tenth of the asking price.

What does the collective reckon?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254613608724
Certainly looks like a browning specific to me.

daugs":2iopflsw said:
Interesting, so they made the frame specifically, with the paint job, I bow to your expertise on the specifics but the other bits still have a value if you broke into bits even if the frame is worthless, and wouldn't be to someone with a browning fork maybe. I agree compared to yours it is worthless as a bike but not in bits IMHO I'd pay something......stx stuff has a value just not a high one to right person, and dx / xtr has a value as well, if not worn out, are we comparing apples and pears ?

Some of the other stuff on ebay at the moment is unbelieveable

For worthless check this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARIN-ELDRID ... Swu3BeylLm

https

Agree with what you’re saying about the parts - the 1 1/4” XTR headset is the Value component there. Everything has value to the right person.
Finding the correct fork is the issue with this really - they really are very rare....and if you do, chances are they don’t work anymore.
Suppose the main reason I’ve highlighted this particular Marin is that if you were looking for one of these ‘Browning Specific’ versions, it’s a starting point. If you have the fork and need a frame, this would be right up your street.
You could always fit a headset reducer and run a modern fork as the frame would be suspension corrected.

Interestingly though, the Eldridge you’ve highlighted has more originality. As restoration project there’s more there to work with.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Re:

Never owned one but, yes to it being the browning issue.

The geometry looks well awkward with those rigid forks, where it should
actually look right with rigid forks. If it wernt a browning.
The headset gives it away in that one of the previous owners could probably
only find that XTR one, they seem common for evo models.

All said, it's a browning jobby.

Certainly looks like it, especially against the forks like said above. Good find.

If it was smaller i would have been tempted, plenty of 1 1/4" steerers about until the original fork pops up :cool:

Re:

Thought it was because of the head tube. The paint on that looks original
The orange on the rear has been painted over but it looks like there’s a trace of the original coming through.
Such a shame it’s ended up in this state though....perhaps they junked they original fork if it failed.....unwittingly throwing away the parts that made it different.

mk one":2ploj2qc said:
Certainly looks like it, especially against the forks like said above. Good find.

If it was smaller i would have been tempted, plenty of 1 1/4" steerers about until the original fork pops up :cool:

Just for info Mark, all the examples that have surfaced including mine are 19” frames. It seems they only made the browning fork version in one size fits all!
The frame is Tange Prestige though.....the Standard ‘92 Pine mountain wasn’t!
It was posted in my thread that only 100 of these frames were made....although it’s unclear if specially by Marin or outsourced to another frame builder. Marin never got back to me with any more info.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

boy"O"boy":3kfnq8tb said:
Just for info Mark, all the examples that have surfaced including mine are 19” frames. It seems they only made the browning fork version in one size fits all!
The frame is Tange Prestige though.....the Standard ‘92 Pine mountain wasn’t!
It was posted in my thread that only 100 of these frames were made....although it’s unclear if specially by Marin or outsourced to another frame builder. Marin never got back to me with any more info.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Ah, that's a shame, had a 19" Team Marin and the tt was 23", too long for me unfortunately.

Back