Marin Muirwoods 1991

Had to get it back on the road in a hurry

Things had been progressing well, I had started to reassembly brake components from the "kit" supplied, it was a joy to work with a totally clean frame and set of components, which made the job so much easier.

marin_muirwoods56.jpg

I was hoping to have the bike ready for a longish RetroBike style jaunt around London with some friends and set Friday 30th March as my deadline for completion, but fate brought the schedule forward unexpectedly.

marin_muirwoods46.jpg

My regular commuter bike started breaking spokes on the back wheel at an alarming rate and I had to get it off the road fast on a wet Wednesday evening around 8pm. This left me 4 hours to do what I could to make the bike roadworthy; at 12:30pm I carried out I quick run up and down my road and deemed the job complete. At 5am in the morning I set off for work some 15 miles away in the City, this was somewhat of a leap of faith!

marin_muirwoods49.jpg

The bike survived the shakedown and by the weekend, I had covered 60 miles on it without mishap. On Friday 30th March I had a few hours of minor tweaking, such as; changing the bottom bracket for a narrower model which put the chain ring in a better position for the cassette and made for better gear changing.

marin_muirwoods52.jpg

On Saturday 31st March, I set out with Chris and Caspar and followed an easy and flat route around London which covered some 60 miles over the period of a day. This was relaxed cruising by my standards but poor Chris is not a regular cyclist and was quite pooped out by the end of it.

marin_muirwoods55.jpg

The Marin performed well and the three outstanding issues I have left to sort are; gear selection (a bit haphazard in the low ranges), chain length (too long) and brake squeals (too much toe in on the pads?).

marin_muirwoods44.jpg

Page edited to show new image location

Back