Manitou 4 advice needed

Leo_D_Man

Retro Newbie
What’s best first step to get these apart? From other posts sounds like elastomers have melted and essentially glued the fork stuck down.

Am I right in thinking the blue dials should undo. Any tips for minimal damage?

Am rebuilding for a mate.

IMG_5167.jpeg

Looking at the corrosion on the forks it looks like they have been left outside in all weathers for a long long time. I imagine they'll be pretty crusty and corroded throughout. Good luck👍

To be honest ...yours looks rough! Good luck with the rebuild! If you have any (more) questions. Let me know. I do professionally re-work the MANITOU forks of 1992 to 1996.

If you (or others) need a new professional elastomer kit for it, let me know! Best, if you are located in Europe and dont want to buy from overseas.

Cheers

MANITOU 4 help elastomers by Falko Schlötel Germany 03.jpeg

MANITOU 4 help elastomers by Falko Schlötel Germany 01.jpeg

MANITOU 4 help elastomers by Falko Schlötel Germany 02.jpeg

first job is undo the bridge bolts and remove the bridge. Then twist and pull each of the lower in turn to get them moving. Once moving then you can undo the bottom screw (holding them down) and remove the seal retainer clip up top and the lower leg will come off.

Carb or brake cleaner will help free the old gunky elastomer off.

Up top do not put the ally bits in a vice or pliers without something to protect the soft aluminium. Wrap the knurled bit in electrical tape (thickly) or a piece of leather before using any grabbing or force. I use an old broken leather belt and snug them in a vice. Again they will need some careful persuasion/rocking back and forth to start moving if they are frozen, Careful the heavy tools don't mark the light alloy. Once loose they will unscrew completely.

You should then be able to disassemble all the bits and clean stuff properly.

Rich

Mine was stuck compressed also. Here's mine and what it looks like apart. apart. I'm hoping to eventually find a spring kit insted of elastomers.

Answer Manitou 4b.jpg

Answer Manitou 4d.jpg

feliz año nuevo a todos, if you have any questions or queries, please let us know, we will be happy to help. queremos ayudar, tenemos elastómeros para esas maravillas, tenemos un kit completo Answer Manitou 4 y guardapolvos,

Attachments

• IMG_20231110_000205.jpg
    IMG_20231110_000205.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20231129_201745.jpg
    IMG_20231129_201745.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20231110_000141.jpg
    IMG_20231110_000141.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1
Back