Manitou 2 Dust seals

Fatboy1974

Rocky Mountain Fan
Alpinestars Fan
Hello. I'm rebuilding a Manitou 2 ( with all elastomers melted al hell). Still work to do cleaning the internals, what a sh**.

Any idea ob the best way to remove elastomer rests?
Anybody knows the sie of dust seals exactly? I don't find them. Are they 29x35?

Thank you!

Regarding the melted elastomers, I don’t know if there’s an easy way to clean out the goo. I used automotive hand cleaner (Goop) and a bottle brush. It was labor intensive but it worked. Perhaps something limonene-based would work (Goo-Gone), or even WD40.

Do wash the parts thourougly when you’re ready to rebuild. Use only 100% silicone grease. Any exposure to petroleum products will cause new elastomers to melt.

Put in the work. Old Manitou forks are sexy.

@johndeverill sells the wiper seals cheaper. Has an eBay store too.
(UK based).

And of course @fguki too (Spain? I forget.

More here and a seal code you can use

Just a bit of hard work and random chemical is unlabeled bottles for me.
And a few rods/spokes to get them out and a bottle brush.
Not as hard as some forks, at least my sets anyway.

My Manitou project needs new seals and elastomers also. My seals just crumbled when trying to remove. The elastomers wern't entirely melted, just the lower set. Mine had 3 large upper elastomers rather than the normal (?) 6.
A worthwhile project indeed. Mine is just on the back-burner for now. Luckily, here in the US, Suspension Fork Parts has all the parts I need.
I may try making my own DIY elastomers myself.

Mine sits in a box awaiting it's rebirth.
Answer Manitou 4c.jpg
Answer Manitou 4d.jpg

Last edited:
If you've not seen it, check there isn't a top out bumper in the stanchion, often get 'stuck'in there, there should also be a similar bottom out bumper from the black rod.

Latest posts

Back