Man Versus Horse

danson67

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anybody else got memories of the Man versus Horse races in Mid-Wales?

Here's my MVH certificate from 1986...

Only the second year it was run (with bikes), and only lasted a few years before being pulled as bike racing on bridlepaths was against the bylaws, but running and horseriding was OK :roll: ...and it was a bit long, muddy and technical for the upcoming ex-cyclocross boys ;)

It was won that year by Joe Murray (later of Kona etc.), followed by Roy Rivers (Gary Fisher). Jaqui Phelan (on her bare alu, drop bar Cunningham) won the womens' race.

Organised in Llanwrtyd Wells, Powys by Phil Westoby of the local Mountainbike Centre behind the church (It was going to be the British Durango :) ) and Gordon Green from the Neuadd Arms Hotel, with help from Rhodry Thomas of the hardware shop, Steve Devine from above the hairdressers, and soup from The Drover's Rest tearoom over the road...

Gordon used to turn up occasionally on TV and radio as organiser of the World Bog Snorkelling Championships, The Real Ale Wobble and Mountainbike Chariot Racing (http://www.green-events.co.uk/events.php) but what happened to Phil W, Rhodry and Steve? Any of you Bristol boys know?

Fairly disorganised and casual, but a great weekend.

Attachments

• scan0044.jpg
    scan0044.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 146
danson67":3ctqm8q8 said:

Pretty much sums up all Retrobike events I've ever been to, glad we're keeping the spirit alive :D

Anyone remember Lurch, worked behind the bar at the Neuadd Arms Hotel during the real ale wobble. Scary looking huge bloke pulling pints of Old Todger, Dead Dog, Red Dragon and other wonderful brews.

This used to be one of my local races - that, the Real Ale Wobble and the Bog Leapers! I used to ride with 'BaDCC' (Builth and District Cycle Club)

I'll never forget doing the Bog Leapers in 1995 (I think?) on my Parkpre Pro Image, and absolutely wrecking my Quasar forks on one of the descents. I had XTR V's on it and they were pulling the forks apart. Those Quasars were never very well designed!

i believe in fixies":1cy0em7n said:
danson67":1cy0em7n said:

Pretty much sums up all Retrobike events I've ever been to, glad we're keeping the spirit alive :D

yep. When i rode the Malverns one year. They weren't counting the place you finished. The finish line was madness with the finish sign falling down across the track. :roll:

And Gorick race BITD some body moved the track guides :? and we all rode the wrong way to a dead end. :x

Man Versus Horse - reminiscing

I have a one or two of those certificates somewhere. I rode the first event while in the employ of Muddy Fox. We sponsored Jacquie while she was in the UK and it was great to have someone from Marin on the scene. Meeting Marinites Joe and Roy from at the following years event was another highlight. I caught up with Jacquie again last October in Rotorua at the SSWC10 and she's still the same delightful lady.

I seem to recall placing 5th in one of the two events. Most of us were enthusastic amateurs who's "training" lagrely comprised of attending a race the weekend before. :)

The Welsh riding was some of the best I remember, right up there with the Lake District. I haven't been back in more than 20 years, but not a week goes by when I don't recall my time riding MTB's in the UK during the mid-80's

David Whittam
Christchurch, NZ

We were at that Man V Horse -only as spectators though. You could tell where Phelan was most of the time; man, was she loud :LOL:

Yes we remember Lurch at the back bar at the Real Ale Wobble with his rubber apron-make that two pints of Old Tom please :shock:

I won the 'Saddest underpants' competition at the wobble in the Neuadd one year-which consisted of standing on the table and dropping your trousers to expose what you were wearing underneath. I had borrowed my mates dads baggy y-fronts and was finally disqualified 'cos they were'nt my own, but I had drank the prize pint by then :p

must get back, not been there for a while. :?

Rhodri - not Rhodry - Thomas now works at the European Commission in Brussels. I drink with him at least once a month, and will see him tonight for a St David's Day dinner here. I'll tell him you were asking! If you ever have a question about Belgian beer then he's the man to ask. He doesn't do much biking any more though.

Cheers,
Gareth.

danson67":tolua3nw said:
(snip)

Gordon used to turn up occasionally on TV and radio as organiser of the World Bog Snorkelling Championships, The Real Ale Wobble and Mountainbike Chariot Racing (http://www.green-events.co.uk/events.php) but what happened to Phil W, Rhodry and Steve? Any of you Bristol boys know?

Back