Making things harder for yourself

The concept is brilliant really. They are a bit fussy and by headset standard today with sealed bearings out of date.

Too good an idea too early.

I can vouch for the no spanners on the threaded version.

You just tighten the main nut by hand, then the allen key.

Blurb and a time line.

So, this is from around the early 90s.

I found a bike shop in the suburbs of Stockholm who had boxes and boxes of these and was selling them for about £8 :cool:

How come that system didn't get more appreciation? Did it surface too late?

I think the Cane Creek history is not strictly true. The headset I'm showing are made in Japan with no mention of Dia-Comp USA in the instructions. It's not that simple really of too early or too late.

The whole concept is the pre-curser to the a-headset we know. I guess it got refined to remove the clamp. Suspension forks needed the hanger on the fork bridge so automatically the version with the cable hanger was as good as obsolete. MTB evolution was at a mad pace.

On the road side, at this time with threaded steerers, Campagnolo were still the undisputed leaders. I do know they gained some ground for hardcore world wide touring cyclists because you could finally do road side service with no spanners. Products from Japan were considered inferior at the time on the road scene.

Meh...I still like a nice well made steel threaded headset there is and will always be a magic in the moment of fresh clean threads and winding them on. The quiet moment listening to it freely spin all quiet and lovely a fingernail on the headtube cups just to feel that it's all tickety boo....😊

As I have been saying for an eternity to everyone I know who buy into this 'I'll change the world by buying a paperbag' kind of philosophy, there's no real large scale, sustainable future in the various forms of 'green energy' and 'green alternatives'. There's no longevity in consumerist and productionist societies. We have been running on fumes, and still are. If we wish to enact change on a large scale, first you must deindustrialise a vast majority of western and eastern society, and accept that we will have to make do with far fewer comforts, and centralise the remaining production around smaller communities, rather than focusing on for profit large industrial production with intent of export

AaAAahhhh

Drink.
There are just far too many people on the planet, population growth is, in my opinion, the single biggest issue and the one that most people won't even talk about.

There are just far too many people on the planet, population growth is, in my opinion, the single biggest issue and the one that most people won't even talk about.
If one half of the world's population is hell bent on worshipping at the alter of consumerism and the other half aspire to the same then yes I agree too many people are on the planet.
But if there was deep huge change then no there's just enough for everyone!

Possibly just a function of an imbalanced (free market capitalism / globalisation) 'ecosystem' that has no responsibility beyond short term financial returns?
I'm with @Imlach re. smaller society but unfortunately it seems I once again find myself in the teenie tiny minority (no comment on anyones physical characteristics BTW!)

Unfortunately I fear we may be approaching a population correction point soon enough
- better sort out this headset dilemma while we still have enough brain power left on the planet.

Last edited:
Possibly just a function of an imbalanced (free market capitalism / globalisation) 'ecosystem' that has no responsibility beyond short term financial returns?
I'm with @Imlach re. smaller society but unfortunately it seems I once again find myself in the teenie tiny minority (no comment on anyones physical characteristics BTW!)

Unfortunately I fear we may be approaching a population recorrection point soon enough
- better sort out this headset dilemma while we still have enough brain power left on the planet.
Headset dilemma!
Succinctly put and so apt for both topics!

Back