Magura Adjustments

The collar in the pic above has a rounded outer profile and flat inner. It sits squarely on the piston but can rotate in the clamp body, which has a corresponding curved inner face.

The collars can look like they are missing as they get covered in all sorts of crap, so a good disassemble and clean is recommended. Mount them to the bike with the bolts loosened (to just before pinch tight) and the piston should be able to move around laterally - I think they also have some front back (ie closer or further away from the rim) adjustability as the collar is ridged inside and “locks on” to ridges on the piston.

Been a long time since I fettled maguras but used them for about 15 years straight and their stopping power is incredible.

There are quite a few differences between the exploded view and what mine look like.

No collar. No adjustable frame stop. 2 halves of the clamp, the piston body, pad and bolts:

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    946 KB · Views: 22
I think it’s missing the collar. You can see the three grooves on the piston that the collar would align to.

I honestly don't think so. There's a full set of brakes here - no collars on either of the 4 assemblies.

There is a rib on the frame-side clamp - that sits in the grooves on the piston body to give you coarse pad "reach" adjustment.

I had a set of these from new on a '92 Kili Pro. I don't remember there being a collar on those either, but there's been a lot of beer since then!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

The clamp is the very early type, and it looks like those didn't have the collars? It definitely looks like it's cut as a "cylinder" and isn't concave! If that's the case then you don't have any adjustment for toe-in. A new set of mounts would fix that. We need an expert on very early magura brakes to confirm!

It looks like there’s enough there to put together a full set of perfectly functional brakes. Given the absence of adjustment it may take some time for the pads to fully seat, but they are Magura. I expect that they will bring the bike to a stop very effectively. I’d bolt ‘em up without a second thought.

I bumped my own thread last night and obviously wasn't able to put 2 and 2 together 🤦‍♂️
I have a full set of non-matching mounts available if you want the adjustability:

Late to the party, but the first Gen mounts (as teh OP has) don't have the spherical mount.

not a big issue in practice unless you have some fork/frame misalignment.

Back