MacRetro Trading Post

Pair of MTB wheels needed

My oldest daughter is off to Edinburgh Uni next month and I need to build her a bike to use around town as there's no way she's taking her Marin Wolf Ridge. It would be a sure sticky finger trap.
Have rummaged through all my crap, er, component stash and I've got everything I need except wheels.
Was going to use the wheels off my old Saracen Tufftrax Comp but the rear bearing's a bit crunchy and rim walls look concave, so do any of you chaps have a pair of el cheapo wheels needing a new home.
They don't have to look good, just function OK, I'm purposely building a bike that looks like shit to make it a bit less likely to get nicked.

gmac123":348aw2h0 said:
failing that, I think I have a spare set of exage/araya jobbies, needing cones

Thanks very much for offer, will maybe need them if I have to build up the Saracen if the bike I'm building for her gets nicked.

dyna-ti":348aw2h0 said:
@OCP
I think all the students favour geared hybrid types ,along the lons of something akin to a 50's raleigh town bike.
Typical. Up to a couple of weeks ago i had a front basket for ladies bikes,modern but new.Gave it away :roll: As im in the BS ,do you want me to keep an eye open for a nice shopping basket? Cant guarantee it will be the wicker type, probably modern

Er no, she was all for taking her full suspension Marin Wolf Ridge or a Claud Butler Mixte road bike (one of a pair of his'n'hers bikes bought from Edin Co-op years ago) that belonged to her aunt but both would have been prey to sticky fingers. At least all the bits on the one I'm building are, with the exception of Saint Rob's wheels, from my stash of bike bits that would have never been used again.
I will put a rack on back and get some cheap panniers, might have some in attic, come to think about it.

I've a couple of USE posts but just checked, they're 350/360mm, also a couple of Shockposts but they're just a wee bit longer, sorry.

Latest posts

Back