MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

Thats a cable puller not a third hand tool. A third hand holds both sides of the canti brake againts the rim leaving your first two hands to fettle. I have one somewhere I never use, if I find it I'll bring it along and Sunday and give it to you for nowt. My interest in mtb began with the advent of V-brakes so I keep my fighting with canti's to a minimum although I have my own system of dealing with them not using a third hand.

Re: Re:

velomaniac":25a9omi2 said:
... I keep my fighting with canti's to a minimum although I have my own system of dealing with them not using a third hand.

Sounds intriguing!!

Attachments

• 1_ZYpBSAe0dC4_ha-3GhcO9Q.jpeg
    1_ZYpBSAe0dC4_ha-3GhcO9Q.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 730
My methods:

If the brakes are already fitted and the cables are all set up so all your after is adjusting the pads. Pull the brake lever then hold brake lever in place with a cable tie, pads are now against rim allowing you to adjust.

If fitting for first time and not cabled up then fit wheel without tyre. Use an old brake cable placing the barrel nipple in one side of canti and cable clamped in other. Pull together and clamp with pads contacting rim and adjust.

Both ideas do not require third hand tool which just does as above, clamps the pads againts the rim for adjustment.

Personally I just use modern canti's with the v brake type adjustable pads, not in keeping with the aesthetic but work just as well and work with the levers etc.

Re:

I don't know what was more piss poor today, the weather, or "Shaun Ryder on UFO's" :LOL:

I mean.... what???! :LOL:

Attachments

• 20191006_161752-591x392.jpg
    20191006_161752-591x392.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 694
Re:

Volunteered at Edinburgh bike station to help members if the public fix their own bikes last night.
Most enjoyable bike related four hours in my living memory. All those years tinkering with bikes finally paid off :)

Re: Re:

velomaniac":2k7fl6pz said:
Volunteered at Edinburgh bike station to help members if the public fix their own bikes last night.
Most enjoyable bike related four hours in my living memory. All those years tinkering with bikes finally paid off :)

Nice :)

Back