MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

I know I've asked before and yes I'm asking again.
Recommendations for a pair of good quality, sticky, enduro stylee tyres for this time of year in Jockland for a
full bouncer BTW.

Re: Re:

RobMac":2rngjiqi said:
I know I've asked before and yes I'm asking again.
Recommendations for a pair of good quality, sticky, enduro stylee tyres for this time of year in Jockland for a
full bouncer BTW.

Same answer I gave you last time. Yer Alzheimer's that bad that ye cannae remember?

Re:

Mountain Mayhem 2019 already being planned by retrobike regulars of which I now seem to be a part of. So any MacRetro care to join me in June 2019, if so get over to events section.

So who from Macretro is still going to Sundays Audax, East Lothian Rough Stuff?
Brian is no longer able to go due to family visiting from OS, I am definitely going as will be staying in Perth tomorrow night. Velo are you still coming? Rob?

Jamie

Re:

It's 1993/1994, what disc brakes are available?

Pace? Formula??

Going to collect my Orange Prestige from storage this weekend, been contemplating a disc conversion for a few years. Very nearly went full-bodge with some Hope mechanical discs, but it all seemed a bit too Heath Robinson tbh.
I'm prepared to have a disc tab welded on the frame, I'll be keeping the frame so not too bothered about messing with its originality (it's already had the rear canti brake guide removed).

Re:

There's this thread about Hopes, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94741

But if you've already altered the frame and are proposing getting disc mounts welded on, modernising it so to speak, why bother with ancient disc brakes? There's lots of later brakes that will not be a pain to keep working, spares etc, but still not look out of place on an older bike.
Not that it would bother me, I've no problem with putting new components on an older bike, things wear out and get replaced with more recent bits as a matter of course. If they happen to work better then that's great.

Re:

Yeah it's have to be hydraulic discs. I'd still like to keep the bike relatively period correct though.
I guess disc brakes ftom the 1990's would be ok.
The bike used to have flouro yellow Magura HS33 brakes, I think Magura did flouro yellow disc brakes?
I was a fairly late convert to discs so not clued up on retro-ish disc brakes.

Back