MacRetro chat and rides thread

If the flat 'locking' nuts are done up as tight as they should then the cones shouldn't loosen at all. They might bed in but the lock washers need to tighten very tight to lock them otherwise the cone will loosen just a fraction as it moves out to the lockwasher. This always gives the impression that it is tight as the washer now seems tight but the cones are loose. Hope that may make sense, it does in my head :)
I had a similar issue with the rear XT hub that is used on the front of my Pugs. Took me a few goes to get it spot on. On one ride at Forth Fat, the first after I put it back together it actually tightened. I didn't know, just thought I was on one of those bad days where your legs feel dead and you have trouble riding on the flat, no oomph in the legs, only to find when I hosed it at the end of the day that the wheel wouldn't turn :roll:
I had good legs the next day!

Jamie

Sounds familiar :)
It is always a bit of trial and error each time I put it back together as I find it nips itself up just slightly and if I have had it perfect, it is then just a fraction tight.
Mine is coming to the end of it's life as it has seen years of saltwater etc on the Pugs and as such it gets a little bit harder each time. When it happened at Forth Fat, Steve I think it is, at Laws Cycles, when I asked about 8 on the Sunday morning if he could quickly adjust it as I didn't have the spanners, he took the wheel out, stripped the hub, put it back together with some freshly greased bearings and had me out for 9 kick off just as the others were leaving. Top man and wouldn't take anymore than a fiver. Need the cone spanners or your going to overdo it each time ;)

Jamie

Re: Re:

velomaniac":1qdun6h2 said:
PS I think Brian made his 5 year prediction 5 years ago but he's nothing if not optimistic.

Oh look!

The advertorial educated ignorami scoffed at the idea of this 5 years ago.

And not the only bike of the type in the shops.

b6f680_732c0831bac84ff3b78c1de1cb18a9ce~mv2_d_5906_3661_s_4_2.jpg

Looks tasty. Not much longer to proper fullness of tyres... :)

Re:

Funnily enough, I've just tried 26 x 1.75 tyres on my "Gravel" bike, wanted a change from the maximum 700 x 35c tyres it usually wears.
Need a few miles to properly test it out.

Next thing you know there'll be 26" drop bar Mountain bikes in the shops :?

Re: Re:

RobMac":2oryzxvt said:
Is there such a thing as a map showing the tracks up at Dunkeld?

Try the "Trailforks" app, it's free!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180214-213334-576x916.jpg
    Screenshot_20180214-213334-576x916.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 346
Back