M-Trax350, Muddyfox Seeker Mega and Trek 8300

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Putting this thread up for my mate Baz who is off helping rebuild Afganistan when he was last back on leave he asked me to do some jobs that he had planned on his fleet plus take a look at his latest aquisition.

First up is the 1997 (I think) M-Trax 350, this was brought from repman on here last year and has seen some use but is still in really nice condition, the original forks were the woeful Indy C's and the pedal were a set of very narrow MKS ones.
The jobs on this were to source a set of decent forks and get them fitted, add some flat pedals, get shot of the terrible saddle and stick on a set of off road boots in place of the semi slicks.

Here it is in the original condition:

SNC00045.jpg

I managed to source a set of Rockshox SID's (from jnrwookster), these are the 1998 ones so are about a year later than the bike, but still about correct they are utterly mint, the saddle is a WTB Rocket V Comp, pedals are Outland Flats and the Tyres a set of part worn IRC Mythos.

Frame: M-Trax 7005 Aluminium

Fork: Rockshox SID

Headset: Diatech
Stem: Zoom
Handlebar: Raleigh SP
Barends: Raleigh SP

Brakes: Deore LX
Brake Levers: Deore LX

Shifters: STX-RC 8 Speed
Front Derailleur: Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Deore LX
Cranks: Deore LX
Pedals: Outland flatties in blue

Rims: Mavic
Hubs: Deore LX Parallax

Tyres: IRC Mythos XC

Saddle: WTB Rocket V
Seatpost: Raleigh SP Titanium

Weight: ~25lbs

Here's the finished article pretty distinctive and pretty light too coming in at just under 25lbs.

DSCF7850.jpg

DSCF7851.jpg

DSCF7852.jpg

DSCF7853.jpg

Next is the 1991 Seeker which is the one I used to own this is in nice condition as well but is going to be more of a road use bike so the mission for this was to fit a slightly shorter and higher rise Zoom stem i had lying around, fit the semi slicks from the Raleigh and some new flat pedals. Not much really but it made a big difference in comfort as your body weight is now back off the wrists and it rides nicely. Pretty pleased with this.

Frame: Muddyfox Outer Butted Cuboid Cromo

Fork: Muddy Fox Mega Cromo

Headset: Tioga
Stem: Zoom

Brakes: 500LX

Brake Levers: Deore DX STi

Shifters: Deore DX STi
Front Derailleur: 500LX
Rear Derailleur: 500LX

Cranks: 500LX

Pedals: Outland Flatties

Rims: Araya VP-20
Hubs: 500LX

Tyres: Panaracer Mach

Saddle: WTB Laser V

Weight: a fair bit :)

Here it is:

DSCF7855.jpg

DSCF7854.jpg

DSCF7856.jpg

DSCF7857.jpg

I think I have saved the best until last and this is the 1993 Trek 8300 Composite, brought for a bargain back in march baz being a middle aged git like myself said he wanted it a bit more comfortable so that meant the original 135mm flat stem and concrete saddle were toast as were the orignal rigid forks. The bike itself has been used a bit (not much considering it's years) but well looked after and the spec was nice.
The forks had to be period really and really only Rockshox would do so a set of Mag10's were found on ebay. these were being sold by TF Tuned (after being tuned) and were duely purchased, for nearly 20 years old they are nice with hardly any damage or any flaking paint. Stem wise the original Trek System stem was cromo and was showing a fair bit of surface rust this was replace with a Controltech 120mm with a bit of rise from fatchicken2 on here this is in perfect condition and is perfect for the bike, saddle wise another new WTB Rocket V was fitted and another set of outland flat pedals.

Frame: Trek 8300 Composite (Carbon main tubes bonded to alloy lugs and an alloy rear triangle)

Fork: TF Tuned Rockshox Mag10

Headset: Diacomp Aheadset
Stem: Contoltech
Handlebar: Trek System
Barends: Onza

Brakes: Suntour XC Expert

Brake Levers: Suntour XC Comp

Shifters: Suntour XC Expert
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Comp MD
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Comp MD

Cranks: Suntour XC Comp MD

Bottom Bracket: Suntour XC Comp
Pedals: Outland Flatties

Rims: Trek Matrix
Hubs: Suntour XC Comp

Tyres: Trek Control Track

Saddle: WTB Rocket V
Seatpost: Trek System (Kalloy)

Weight: ~25lbs

Pics:

DSCF7845.jpg

DSCF7846.jpg

DSCF7847.jpg

DSCF7848.jpg

DSCF7849.jpg

All three are riders and should get some good use when he is next back on leave.

Carl.

My bikes

Have to say, what an improvement. They all look good, and all 3 done for not alot of cash.

Grand job done mate, really looking forward to getting out on them.

Cheers for all the work, really is appreciated. Think i owe you a few beers.

Baz

M-trax looks okay

Muddy fox..I have always liked the understated way that type of paintjob looks

the trek..the frame is very ala ..alan with the carbon and metal

all look okay chap back on the road and ready to ride

When I have been going out recently I have chosen nearly everytime my Muddyfox as the bike to ride. It is the lowest spec of all of my bikes but rides the nicest on the river path and is the most comfortable of all 3. The Seeker feels almost the same so should be great for non-taxing rides with the other half and kids.
The Trek feels quite gung ho like my CB so won't be one for rides with the kids as you'll just disappear off in the distance :).
Raleigh is just a bit too big for me so has never felt right but the forks are much better than the old ones.
Glad you are pleased and they can get some appreciation on here as well now.

Will have to have a look at the Alan Carbons again but now it's mentioned maybe they were subcontracted out to Alan to build the frames.

Carl.

Putting in an offer then for a his and hers?

Found a full set of LX V's on ebay as well.

Carl.

Cheers mate,

Your supposed to say i have enough bikes. would be nice though.

And whats the crack with sending this link, as beautifull as it is, what would happen to my manhood if i got it. Tempting as it is, i like it where certain parts are.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136489

But, i might go the the frame though.

Give me a project, then will have to get her of the Marin, and u know she likes it

Baz

Latest posts

Back