M Trax / Dynatech titanium duo tech frame 19.25"

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
For sale is one of my M Trax / Dynatech titanium duo tech frames, in 19.25" size (centre to top). The top tube and down tube are titanium. The head tube is aluminium. The rear triangle, including seat tube, is all cro-mo steel.

This was originally an M Trax Team Titanium frame from 1994 or 1995, which its original owner had powercoated in white and put Dynatech decals on. For sale is the frame only (no fork, headset or seat bolt), but some parts could be included at cost.

This frame takes a 27.0 seat post.

I should disclose that the rear axle spacing of this frame is non-standard, and is about halfway between 130 and 135 mm, but the frame should originally have had 135 mm spacing. This hasn't given me any problems, and according to Sheldon Brown this kind of thing is well within the tolerances of hubs with ball and cup bearings. It just means one has to slightly pull apart the rear stays when inserting the rear wheel. One or two decals are showing signs of peeling at the edge, as I think is usual with non-original decals, but nothing that can't easily be put right with the right care.

Other than that, it's in great shape, the rear mech hanger is straight (recently checked with the LBS), no dents to the tubing and no significant scratches to the powercoat. It rides magnificently, giving the nimble feel of steel where it counts, and damping of titanium where that counts, and is relatively lightweight (but not superlight!).

Sadly, it's just that bit too small for me, and it needs to make way for a new (and larger) arrival to the stable :xmas-cool:

I'm looking for 30 gbp plus postage. Buyer pays paypal fees, or else payment by paypal gift, please.

Please reply here and also PM me if interested.

The forks pictured are not for sale (sorry!) but I do have a pair of regular cro-mo rigid forks, with the right steerer size to fit any 19.25" M Trax / Dynatech Duo Tech frame. Their colour is glittery black (from a 1993 M Trax 400 Duo Tech), and are in good condition due to having been swapped out for rockshocks around the time I started doing real mountain biking.

Here is a photo I've borrowed from its original owner:
2159efa2.jpg

Here is his original build thread:
viewtopic.php?t=176654&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And one of my photos, lower quality due to poor light and using a mobile phone's camera:

Very nice, I'd snap that up if I didn't have so many projects already. Don't suppose you have the forks and fancy selling them do you?

Update: Since I've had a few questions about the forks, I'll say a few words about them. They are Raleigh Special Products Divisions UGLI forks, which came off a 1994 Dynatech Diablo. The forks came in two varieties: steel blades (as mine are) and titanium blades, the latter being reserved for the highest end Dynatechs and, when Dynatech was extinguished for the 1995 range of bikes, the highest end M Trax bikes. Not only are they fairly rare, they are also beautiful to behold, light, and provide a slight increase in trail buzz damping compared to regular spinner forks.

My ULGIs are very precious to me (imagine Gollum saying it and you get the idea how precious), and at this moment I'm planning to keep them.

interested buddy, few questions though. how much is postage and which tubes are ti? iirc it was the top, down and seat tubes. Also what is the seatpost size?

cheers

longun":2ya092qe said:
interested buddy, few questions though. how much is postage and which tubes are ti? iirc it was the top, down and seat tubes. Also what is the seatpost size?

cheers

The top tube and down tube are titanium. The head tube is aluminium. The rear triangle, including seat tube, is all cro-mo steel.

The seat post size is 27.0 mm. I can throw in a cosmetically challenged but functional Dynatech cro-mo seat post if interested.

Postage, I'll have to check, but I expect it's going to be in the ballpark of 15 gbp.

Back